soft furnishing course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• soft furnishing course

Hi i have a friend who lives in surrey who has a few sewing skills but she would like to learn more about curtain or blind making can anyone recommend a course Many Thanks.

Re: soft furnishing course

As a starting point I would recommend The National Design Academy Ideal course, and it's also heavily subsidised. With his course your friend can learn at home and at her own pace - they also issue a diploma once completed.

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi Natasha, you could try your local adult education dept. They sometimes run soft furnishings courses at local adult education centres within the local borough. They are fun classes. The classes here are unstructured which basically means that if you have a particular item you want to make , then its tailored to your needs.

If its a course of a more professional tutoring structure that she needs, then have a look at the Decozo course section, theres lots of independant courses listed.

Good luck

Comment

I'm currently doing the NDA course that Philip suggested. The course covers lined and interlined curtains with pencil pleat heading & contrast trim, triple pleat and box pleat headings, piped zipped cushion cover, banana and plaited tiebacks, roman & london blinds, covering a hard pelmet and swags & tails. I've been sewing for years and am self-taught so I knew the basics but the course has taught me new skills and given me confidence to tackle things I haven't tried before.

Hope that helps
        Jane

Comment

This may be too late, but if you look at this post http://www.my.decozo.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=217 there is a site where you can search for all sorts of courses by subject or postcode. It is not a very fast site, but there are furnishing courses daytime/evening in the Surrey area.
          Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Depending on where she lives in Surrey, and how far she is prepared to travel, your friend maybe interested in the City & Guilds course run by Chichester College at its Brinsbury Campus near Billingshurst. Students work at their own pace you can start at any time during the school year.

I have just started my second year of the 7922 Soft Furnishing course and find it really enjoyable.

Kate

Comment

Hi Everyone
              Was just reading requests for good courses.
              I went on a course last Thursday for interlined curtains and next Thursday will be doing Roman Blinds. Both these courses were run by a lady called Wendy Shorter, who is in Colney Heath in Hertfordshire.
              I have been making curtains for a while and had basic skills and workroom skills too but felt I needed more confidence with these two subjects.
              The interlined curttains was absolutely FAB and inspirational, learnt loads of little tips, Wendy tells you during the day, just basis stuff but makes it so much more easy, loved the course and the venue is beautiful, throughly recommend a day out there.
              Cannot wait now until the Roman Blinds now!!!
              The courses are about £100 but totally recommend them, really nice day out aswell and you get to meet some like minded people
              regards
              smiley

Comment

Details of Wendy Shorter's courses are in the Training section if anyone wants more details http://www.my.decozo.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=248
                Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Working...
                X