Very full silk curtains - please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very full silk curtains - please help

I am making very full curtains 5 widths in each curtain . I have just checked for flaws and also to check the quantity.

However, the silk is a very loose weave with a slightly raised texture. As i was measuring and cutting out the fabric moved and the selvedges are wavy. They will move back into position , but then become wavy again. I am concerned that the seams will not sit properly.

Should I stay stitch the sides and the top and bottom?? If so should this be by hand or machine?

Also Phillip , you mentioned that the thread is cotton is this essential?Or can I use a mixed thread? Please help as I am in need of advice.

Should I put weights in each width?
    Mary

Re: Very full silk curtains - please help

Hi Mary

Sounds like you're having a nightmare with this fabric - Are you using dupion silk and are they to be interlined? If you feel the joins aren't going to lay flat, you could consider a wider seam allowance and bring in the seams. To be honest I have made numerous sets of dupion curtains and the fabric doesn't always lay flat but when the curtains are hanging and dressed they have always looked great. While on the table they will resemble sleeping bags!

With regards to the thread, nothing is set in stone, you can sew with what ever thread you chose, but it is recommended that you work like with like.. ie. natural thread with a natural fabric but I have used synthetic threads on many occasions. You should also weight every seam.

I hope this helps Mary and I'm sure other members will be leaving you support and advice during the day..

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi Mary,

Good luck with those curtains, they are huge, and I must admit that the largest I have ever made is 4 widths per curtain. I have worked many times on silk, and it is always a worry with the uneven weave and natural slubs. I do what Phillip has suggested and make the seam allowance slightly wider than I would normally - don't follow the waviness, follow a straight line. Most of the time the joins will rest into the back of a fold and not be as noticeable as you think. I would also clip the seam slightly to help it to lay flat. Are they so wide because the silk is a 48" wide fabric, or does your client have huge windows? I usually use a poly or poly/cotton thread and have had no problems. Are they to be interlined?

Let us know how you get on!

Sue.

Comment

Thank you both for you swift replies, the window is a very large bay in a country house. The fabric is linen silk and has been difficult to cut so that it looks straight although I have measured it again and again.and it correct!

I am interlining them and will now weight each seam. Does anyone think that I shoud staystitch the edges? Would tghis stablise it or would it alter the tension.

Do you think that I should overlock the seam s or zig zag ?
        I am inclined to overlock. Thank you again for you help.

Comment

The fabric is already creased although I spread it out overnight.

Philip thank you reasuring me that it/they will look much better when hung,shall let you know how I get on.
          Mary

Comment

Hi Mary

Certainly you should overlock the fabric if it's fraying, or likely to fray .. One thing I would say, if making a set of five widths, I wouldn't sew five widths of interlining together and then lay it on the curtain... I always lay my main fabric out and then roll individual lengths of interlining over it, sewing the widths together as I interlock. I have always used this method and never machine sewn interlining together.

Good luck Mary!
            Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

I am hand sewing to interlock , however you are right I should have sewn them seperatley, I fold each width back on its self and then interlock every 1/2 width working across the fabric.
              I have now sewn the widths together and so fars seems ok.

Thanks

Comment

I cannot see how that would work Philip

If making very wide curtains in order to be able to interlock you need to start from the centre point so you need to have all your interlining on first. I would pin down the centre and work from there.

The reason being is that if you start interlocking from one edge you will have five widths of fabric folded back on itself. The widest curtains I have made is 4.5 widths in each and this is the most practical way I found of making them. The same goes for the lining.
                Karen Rhodes
                Karen Rhodes Design
                Pole Design

Comment

Hi Karen

I am confused - when you say you start in the centre point do you mean ; you have say 5 width - 2.5 either side???

I have always started at a edge, but then I would assume it depends on how you work, whether you have a table and what size.
                  K W Designs
                  Bournemouth

Comment

Yes Kathy although the widest curtains I made were 4.5 widths. I pinned at the centre and folded back. The table is 150cm wide. It was not a problem
                    Karen Rhodes
                    Karen Rhodes Design
                    Pole Design

Comment

Working...
                    X