approaching shops for work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• approaching shops for work

the shop i work in is very quiet at present i was thimking of approaching some other shops in the area for work
    would you say it's best to go in to see the manager and hand in a resume or take samples or photos of my work
    i would appreciate any advice
    many thanks
    LSS

Re: approaching shops for work

Hi, LSS,
    as I run a shop, I think I would prefer that someone phone me first to make an appointment - and you'll want to be sure that the person you need to see is there and available.
    Regards
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

I do agree with Pen on this one, nothing is worse than appearing in a shop, samples in hand and all eager, when the person who you need to talk to is either out or taking care of a potential customer. I too would ring ahead and book appointments before hand~ looks far more professional too If you do get an appointment try to work out your price list of what you would expect to charge for your work before your appointment and negotiate a compromising amount if necessary !!! Also leave a business card. You may already do this, so apologies in advance if thats the case!

On another note, in my area , the shops are pretty quiet, many established shops are closing! If it were me I would spend some quality time advertising/promoting your own business as a quality curtain maker, thus lining your own pocket wisely in those quiet moments! Shops sometimes ( not always) pay dire wages to outworkers and Im not sure I would flog my heart out to earn a small amount for a shop over gaining numbers to my own client base and building my own business from there. JMHO

Comment

I agree with Tamb - why work for someone else when you could work for yourself ? Makes sense to approach other shops to see if they have any work if you're quiet, but at the same time, develop your own business/client base - in other words - keep your options open. Good luck
        Jane

Comment

Hi LSS i do agree that you would be better off promoting yourself rather than dolng outwork ,however this can sometimes be used as a filler when not very busy and if it is regular it can be your bread and butter ,we find that advertising in our local village newsletter is the best form of advertising we have tried numerous options including newspapers magazines even a national magazine but it works out really expensive for not a lot of return . We ran a shop until a year ago the landlord wanted to put the rent up by 33% so we had to close as it just wasnt financially viable i think this is happening to a lot of small retailers also shops ,according to numerous reps who call are just not busy enough and more people are running a business from home . Hope thing soon pick up for you once summer is out of the way people start to thionk about curtains for christmas !!!!!!!!! alison x

Comment

many thanks for your replies
            let you know how i get on and research on setting up on my own

Comment

Yes, running a business from home is the most profitable. You have literally no overheads and can work your own hours. Can get a bit lonely but thats where the forum helps.

If you feel you have a flair for design try to promote the design side of your work as well as the make up service. Also if you are personally making the curtains you have a lot more invested in the final product and try to stress this. You will be straight at their door if there is a problem. They won't have to wait a fortnight until John Lewis sends somebody round for example.

There is a lot of money to be made in fabric, tracks and poles than make up only. In my business I always stress the design aspect of the business and don't just promote my services as curtain making. Most of my customers ask me to select the fabric and they usually want advice and thats the service and expertise they are paying for. Most clients haven't a clue. I had a call today from a lady saying she knew the fabric she wanted, it was by Jane Shilton (I used to have a handbag made by them ) - You get my drift.

If I get a customer who know exactly what they want - great - takes some responsibilty away from me but I will always say if something is blatantly wrong.

A lot of this comes from experience and you have to start somewhere. Theres a lot more responsibility (and stress) that comes with doing your own thing but the rewards are greater.
              Karen Rhodes
              Karen Rhodes Design
              Pole Design

Comment

Working...
              X