Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first time sending by post

Hi,
    I have to send 7 roman blinds to Southern Ireland.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated as i have never had to send by post before.
    The best way to pack them, and best way to send them.
    Thanks
    Sharon

Re: first time sending by post

Hi Sharon

I send my parcels daily by courier - see here for link. If you register you will receive an automatic 5% discount on each order. With regards packaging, I buy corrugated cardboard rolls and make my own boxes to fit the blinds inside. Very easy to do, just score the corrugated side and fold. I buy a 75 metre length, and usually go for 75mm wide as this slides nicely under my worktable.

I buy my curtain boxes from Morplan - code: 36419-B single wall.

Layflat tubing from M&D and this is the best price I have ever managed to find. I buy 12" for my blinds and larger for curtains.

Hope this helps

Philip

Comment

There is a weight and size limit sending by Air mail (2kgs and 90cm length). You will need to send by courier. You can book Parcel Force http://www.parcelforce.com/portal/pw online and they collect for some services, or you can take the parcel to the post office. Dont forget to decide whether you will insure the goods or whether your customer is bearing the loss, if any.
      Remember to pack the blinds well!
      Kind regards
      Pen Harrison
      Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

I would stay away from Royalmail and Parcelforce where possible - Parcelforce prices start at £18.99 - Private couriers via the link in my original postings start from £6.99 plus VAT, collected from your door and delivered. Royalmail are pricing themselves out of business and they are so expensive!

Interparcel offer a wide range of options and carry up to 3m lengths

Do you use Parcelforce Pen? Take a look at the link.. You'll save a fortune!

Philip
        Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

thanks for the info...
          Sharon

Comment

Hi Philip,
            I dont use Parcelforce myself, I use other carriers - it's just that this is a service available through a Post Office for someone who maybe hasn't dealt with couriers before. I think the prices start from £14.99 for their 2 day service.
            Regards
            Kind regards
            Pen Harrison
            Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hiya,
              Dont know if Phillip is around, or if anyone else who has used interparcel, i have a question. I had them collect my parcel for Ireland today, at midday. So far there is no tracking info using the number they sent in a confirmation email. Its says that tracking info is only available after the parcel has been collected, but mine has hours ago.......
              sharon

Comment

Hi Sharon

That's normal, it often doesn't show until it has entered the system - I have known them not show for 24 hours.

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Phew, thanks Phillip, i can sleep easier tonight knowing that, i'm a bit of a worrier, can you tell?? I wont rest properly until its there safe and sound.....
                  thanks again,
                  sharon

Comment

I am using interparcel again today and just wondered if anyone who uses them has the £6.99 service? if you have has it been a good service?
                    Also, do you have the extra transit cover? I have added it but wonder how i would prove the value when it is made to measure, i can provide receipts for seperate items i have used, eg the lining but how about my making costs....or is it a case of just providing one of my invoices?
                    Thanks
                    Sharon

Comment

I use the £6.99 DHL 48 hour service for anything under a metre long and generally they deliver within 24 hrs.

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Sorry if I'm being dim but I've just searched the DHL website & can't find a 48 hour service - can you direct me???
                        Jane

Comment

You have to go through Interparcel Jane - If you register you will be given an additional 5% off all future orders.

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thanks philip. Do you always have the extra transit cover too?

Sharon

Comment

I have never used the extra cover to be honest and have only ever had one parcel go missing - I'd say if you want peace of mind then do it, you would obviously pass on the cost to your client. In saying that, give the client the choice to insure or not. But I can tell you, they only cover the cost of the item and not the retail price, if you claim they will ask you to prove what the contents cost you minus your profit.

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Working...
                              X