Cord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cord

I've never found a satisfactory way of sewing thick cord to knife edge cushions. I mean the stuff that is used for the tieback bit of tassel tiebacks, usually thinner, though. I haven't had anyone complain, although one did come back for it to be re-attached, but since she had a toddler and a puppy, she wasn't blaming my workmanship.
    All the books say sew it on "as invisibly as possible" which is a fat lot of help. Do you sew round one strand of it or split the strand? And please don't say "buy flanged cord".

Re: Cord

Hi Nic,
    I machine sew mine.......
    I use a cording foot, a tad smaller than the cord, have the cord underneath, fabric on top....works a treat. I cant remember if i then used the cording foot to sew front to back or used a zip foot No chance of the flange showing!!!
    One gadget i recomend is the foot changing thingy.....sorry dont know the proper term.......bought it off ebay, you use it in place of the norman screw, its spring loaded, just puch and the foot comes off and you put on the new foot. No need for a screwdriver, takes seconds.....used mine for about 6 months now no problems.......

here is a link to the foot changer on ebay
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/QUICK-FOOT-CHANGE ... 286.c0.m14

sharon

Comment

I like the foot thing. I like feet, anyway, but only sewing machine ones. I blame Philip for this.But I wasn't talking about cord with a flange, I do that with an adjustable zip foot and never have any problem. It's for the stuff without a flange that I'm not happy with my methods.

Comment

Its the cord without the flange that i use the piping foot method with.....sorry if i didnt make that clear...
        sharon

Comment

Ah, it was mention of the flange that confused me. So the cording foot allows the needle just to catch the edge of the cord, I see, I'd not thought of attaching the cord before making up the cushion, and that would work well for when the cord is in from the edge, bordering a panel of embroidery,say. Thank you, I shall have a play tomorrow, and see how I get on.

Comment

Working...
          X