Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fabric information printed too close on selvidge

HI folks,

I'm sure I've seen a post about this before but couldn't find it in a search! I have come across a few fabrics recently where the fabric information (eg designer, colour registration marks etc) is printed on the selvidge very close to the pattern, making it impossible to cut off as it would leave a seam allowance of only a few millimetres. If you leave the selvidge on, then the printing can show through the face fabric and if you cut it off, you would lose a significant portion of the fabric width, or have a teeny seam allowance.

What do you do in this case?

Thanks
    Sue

Re: Fabric information printed too close on selvidge

I would prefer to cut it off and if necessary overlock the edges, even if it means a small seam allowance.....remember to cut it off on the leading edge as well. I think its a purely personal thing, but on light background curtains with a pale lining and the sun streaming through, I think it looks awful.

Enid

Comment

Another option would be to use blackout lining, no light showing thru then...
      sharon

Comment

remember if you use blackout to bring that lining to the edge of the face fabric and roll both over to the inside.

Enid

Comment

I too am like Enid in that I chop off the selvedge and overlock edges so nothing is showing there is nothing more irrating than seeing a name and fabric reference up the side of new curtains. I had this happen recently with an UNLINED pair of kitchen curtains - beautiful Jane Churchill fabric light background with tiny flowers, cutting it off and overlocking edges worked a treat and finished the job off perfectly.
          Yvonne

Comment

Thank you all for your replies! It sounds like overlocking is the best way to go. However I've been asked to alter a pair of curtains that have been made up with the printed selvidge clearly visible, I don't think overlocking would be possible now that the seam has been made so I'll look at hiding the seam in the folds of the pleats!

Thanks
            Sue

Comment

Working...
            X