Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

May i ask for advice on a pelmet please......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May i ask for advice on a pelmet please......

I was taught to make pelmets using buckram, but i really like the sharp edges from wooden and covered pelmets. Is it possible to get a 'sharp' corner (front of track round to the return) using buckram? I had wondered if I cut the buckram into 3 pieces, i.e. the front and a return for each end, then used some type of adhesive tape to act as a kind of hinge, whether I would achieve the desired effect. I'm just not sure.... I've already done one pelmet that i'm really unhappy with, and don't want to waste my efforts again..........................
    Chris

Re: May i ask for advice on a pelmet please......

Hi Flooz,

To be honest, I havent made a buckram pelmet for quite a long time now. I too, didnt like the "look" as it has a tendancy to bow. I guess its ok on a small window, but I much prefer a plywood upholstered pelmet.

I know some other members have had great success in using loomstate canvas ( available from M&D)

Heres a recent post kindly posted by Philip

Loomstate canvas

I hope that helps

Comment

Hi Flooz

I found over a long distance (7 feet) that the buckram just didn't stay flat enough. It's not that it didn't look great from the front - it did - but it just didn't look acceptable when standing underneath looking up. It went all wibbly, to be frank. I used thin plyboard and it worked beautifully. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't know if you'll be able to achieve what you want to do with buckram, but I'm definitely interested in how you get on!

Comment

Its a while since I have done one of these but I always feel that buckram is fine for short lengths , narrow pelmets or stiff top valances and tiebacks, but there is not enough 'body' in the buckram to hold over a proper pelmet. I have done them and added a piece of tape at the end on the returns and fixed it to the wall, but I think over the length you want, you may be better taking the advice of the others and using something stronger
        Enid

Comment

Hi Flooz

For ease of use I'd say pelmet canvas - Easy to transport also. Loomstate canvas, link left by Tam

Philip
          Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thanks for all your replies. I've picked up a few hints from the link too. I've already purchased the buckram, so will make in that, the window isn't that wide, so it should be ok. All being well (and as long as i'm proud to show it off) i'll post a picture of how it comes out. Think i might use philips (?) hint too by having some 'tails' to hold the sides of the pelmet in place too. I think this might hold the structure of the pelmet quite well too.
            Chris

Comment

Hi,

might have been me with the tails. I use four/five inches strong tape , stitch it inside the pelmet on the return ends, check with the customer and then secure to the wall with a nail......sorry those who don't nail into customers walls. Cut off the excess tape, firm the pelmey along its length and do the same at the other end. So far it has worked......but there is always a firdt time.

Enid

Comment

Hi Flooz,

I too prefer wooden boxed pelmets, however I have done a few buckram ones for customers all be it under protest

I am not vey good at describing and please excuse if you already do this, but here goes.

Imagine the wood shelf above the window that you are going to attach your pelmet to. Now imagine that you have got hold of about 6" at each end and that you are strong enough to 'snap' them down to each side. I don't know how to make the shape for you other than this shape [ turned on it's side. I attach velcro to front edge of the shelf as normal and also all over the side pieces. I then put velcro on the pelmet to match. You can make the side pieces a little short of the finished pelmet drop. I find that this way holds a decent size pelmet taught. I also score a line on the back of the buckram at the point of the returns, before putting the lining on the back.

Hope this is of help.

Bev
                Bev

The Window Dresser

Comment

I have tried buckram for pelmets and used a variety of methods to get a good finish. I tried bending the finished pelmet into a fold using a straight edge (a large set square) which was OK but had to be anchored well on the returns as it was quite springy. I also tried making the pelmet in 3 pieces and making hinges with heavy tape (carpet tape I think) but was concerned that nothing seemed to stick really well to the buckram. I think I will try hardboard or plywood next time I am asked for one.........
                  Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I think Bev was trying to describe a pelmet board with 'legs'. At each end of the pelmet board, have a piece of wood that is the same depth as the board, and as high top to bottom as the returns (dont forget to allow the depth of the top board). Screw in place. Cover with lining, staple velcro to the back edge nearest the wall. Then put velco on the ends of the pelmet. This keeps the front of a buckram pelmet taught. I suggest making up the board with legs and checking the measurements before making the pelmet.
                    Regards
                    Kind regards
                    Pen Harrison
                    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hi
                      We use 4mm ply for pelmets
                      For the returns, I just use a small dab of glue from a glue gun on the wall and hold the return in place until the glue dries. I dont do this if the wall has wallpaper on it.
                      Use panel pins along the top if necessary but I have been using velcro from Riel Chyc which is more sticky than any other velcro I have ever used and its cheap too
                      Cheers
                      Clark

Comment

Thank you for all your help and advice. I think i've concluded that I will use the buckram on this one, and will put some 'legs' on the wall to help hold the returns in shape. Also, i'll 'score' where the returns will fold (maybe even a couple of times) to help get a crisp corner.

I know that sooner or later I will gain some confidence and take a jigsaw to some plywood............ They just look sooooo much neater.

I know some like a more casual look, but i'm all for tailored............
                        Chris

Comment

Working...
                        X