Shop.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop.

A neighbour of mine runs a rather lovely flower shop, and also sells bits and pieces of ornaments, vases, you know the sort of thing. She suggested today that she'd put stuff of mine in the shop and see how it goes, vintage fabric and trimmings, new stuff, whatever I feel like making, and Christmas things, later. This is obviously a brilliant opportunity to make pretty things, which is what I like doing, but there's only so much one's own house will hold.
    My mind has gone completely blank. What are the yummy mummies buying? Table runners? tiny ornate cushions? Got lots of mother of pearl buttons, collected over years, far more than I'll ever use, and trunks of fabric, but absolutely no inspiration, and I'd like to start soon, or I'll lose the impetus, or a large piece of work will come in.
    What sort of things do you go "ooh" about, and then go home and make, because you can sew?

Re: Shop.

Door stops, fabric hearts, bunting, peg bags, cushion covers, draft excluder's, tissue box covers, wash bags... Shall I go on?

[attachment=0:16pczdhs]ragwreath.JPG[/attachment:16pczdhs]

Rag wreath instructions

Comment

Ooooooooo nic the list is endless! I love making goodies, sadly I dont get alot of time and and constantly going OOOOOOOOOooooo arhhhhhh when I go to the trade shows knowing I can easily make the goodies on show.

One company came to mind when you said you had lots of mother of pearl buttons to use up ( i adore mother of pearl buttons)

retreat-home

Comment

Take a look at the Kath Kidston stuff, Gisella Graham and the Emma Bridgewater things. They cost a small fortune but all of my yummy mummy friends' houses are bursting with these overpriced things. Sooo easy to make though.

Also saw some fab appliqued, 3-D alphabet letters for little ones' rooms. They were beautiful and all made out of scraps!

People seem happy to pay big money for children's things.........[attachment=2:29nqbwu1]Hobby Horse.jpg[/attachment:29nqbwu1][attachment=1:29nqbwu1]nursery keep sake holder.jpg[/attachment:29nqbwu1]

Comment

Thank you all! I think I couldn't think of anything because there are too many things to think of.
          I love the wreath, in Christmassy fabrics, and different sizes, perhaps, and damn me, I used to make hobbyhorses like that a lot as a huge hint drop to my parents(didn't work til I was 16 and enough grandparents had died). I knew about Kath Kidson, but not the other two, and more ideas about uses for buttons are always useful when you have a suitcase of them under your bed.Not sure about the oven glove, though.
          It's too good an offer to turn down, isn't it?

Comment

Padded coathangers (adults and babies) look gorgeous, but you may need more dress fabrics or silk for those. Lavender bags are old fashioned but lovely (i.e. take 5 mins. to make) and can be made from voile. Table mats, waste paper baskets? Covered photo frames are maybe a bit 80's but you could start a revival???

Angie

Comment

Swimming bags, PE kit bags & wipe clean aprons (with easy crossover rather than tiestrings) are some of the things my friends have asked for. How lovely to have an opportunity to be so creative. Enjoy
              Jane

Comment

Went upstairs to change sheets and couldn't(sleeping cat) so rummaged under the bed and found, in addition to the suitcase of buttons,a hatbox of lace, another hatbox with net, and braid, and for some reason my father's school blazer badge(1920s), quantities of ribbon, bias binding, ric-rac for God's sake, fur-hooks, cloth buttons for under-pillowcases, as well as all the embroidery stuff I was certain was there. How many slate frames does a girl need?
                In the attic is at least one school trunk with fabric in it, and many bags and baskets full of cloth that "I'll do something with that one day", and I feel that day has come.
                Cat's woken up and gone out, to be replaced by husband and detective story.
                So what I'm thinking is fabric hearts with ribbon hangers; birds with tiny m-o-p buttons for eyes, shopping bags, drawstring bags with lots of detailing and triangular whatsits on the end of the strings, shoe bags(many uses, I have hoover bits in one, and string in another),and doorstops. Coat hangers, lavender bags, aprons all to follow, depending on fabric resources and how it all goes.
                Anybody need any hooks-and -eyes?

Comment

...carrier bag holders...
                  Sue

Comment

I love buying fabric heatrs.... make those make those.... but what I really want to know is, is there an age limit to qualify as a yummy mummy! or does it depend on the age of my children!?!
                    Daisy x

Comment

Working...
                    X