Puffball Heading plus interlining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puffball Heading plus interlining

Hi - I am attempting my first pair of puffball heading curtains, the client has requested interlined with a puddle, my question is regarding how far up the curtain I should take the interlining i.e do I

A) Finish the interlining at the finished drop, double over the material above this to form the heading and place net in the tube for the puff ball then sew on tape and puff away....

B) Do I take the interlining up past the finished drop but only up to the crease of the folded top, still put in net and as above

or

C) None of the above!!!

Thanks
    Lynda

Hi, my immediate thought would be to stop the interlining at the finished drop. I would have thought that it would make the top too thick to achieve the puff ball effect, but it may depend on what the actual curtain fabric is. You want an soft look with a puff ball heading, but if your customer is having interlined and puddle, she is going over the top already. Might be an idea to try it out on a sample if you have any, just to see if it will scrunch up.

Enid

Comment

you could do either, depending on the fabric thickness and the fullness of the curtain. My first thought was the same as Enid's - stop at the finished drop.
      Kind regards
      Pen Harrison
      Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Pictures of finished result

Hi I thought I would put a picture on of the finished result, hopefully it will help others decided whether the way I did the puffball is what you would want/not want.

The curtains are long at 225cm and the puff is 20cm (40cm allowance) I also used 7.5cm pencil pleat tape allowing a further 1.5cm for seam. The curtains are interlined with domett and I have taken the interlining up to where I made the fold for the material to come back on itself i.e. making the tube, I also inserted 3 layers of net. I then stab stitched the puff for the desired affect. Would love some feedback on whether I should/could have done it differently. I know the client and I know she will love it it's right up her street, but for future reference would be happy to hear any other suggestions.
        Thanks
        Lynda

Click image for larger version

Name:	puffball decozo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	114563Click image for larger version

Name:	puffball2 decozo.jpg
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	114564

Comment

I think it looks wonderful, thanks for posting. I think you made the right decision about the making method.
          Kind regards
          Pen Harrison
          Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Looks very effective. I think on seeing the fabric that you could have gone either way, but its just having the confidence to make your decision and stick with it. Well done,

Enid

Comment

Looks fantastic~ well done~ I will take note of your tips and techniques for future reference. You have made a beautiful curtain.

Comment

Wow! the heading really compliments the fabric design, lovely work Lynda. I tend not to do puff- ball headings,as I've thought them "fussy",your pictures have opened my eyes to their possibilities.

Thank-you!
                __________________________________________________ __________________________

Heather

Comment

I too think it looks wonderful. It is a great way to produce an informal curtain, rather than the precise nature of french pleats, and far more attractive than pencil pleats. Well done. What is the fabric you used? it looks so fresh.

Comment

Really lovely - thanks for sharing the making tips which I'll print out and keep. Great work.
                    Warm Regards,

Lizzie
                    Signature Interiors

Comment

Love it! Looks great, I have never made these before so may try a sample. Well done, it is seeing the finished product & happy clients that make it all worth will. X
                      Emma
                      Ruffets Drapes

Comment

Originally posted by Cathie View Post
                        What is the fabric you used? it looks so fresh.
                        Hi everyone = Thank you so much for your confidence boosting comments I was absolutely thrilled to receive such lovely feedback. The fabric is called 'Chess Designs Flora Pink' and I agree it does look very fresh. Beware the horizontal pattern is slightly off but nothing major.
                        Thanks again
                        Lynda

Comment

I like that a lot - well done. Thanks for the tips!

Comment

Re: Puffball Heading plus interlining

Hi

Just been looking at this lovely puff ball heading that Jolojalu posted, could the tube (with the netting) be attached last, after the curtain has been made up, with lots of stab sticthes or is it made as a whole component?

I have a client wishing her bedroom curtains to be of this design, and I had better get practising, hope the above makes sense.
                            Kind Regards
                            Julie Monty

Comment

Re: Puffball Heading plus interlining

Click image for larger version

Name:	my curtains 610.jpg
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	114634I am not sure if I have down loaded my photo. But I have made quite a few Puffed headed Curtains. It seems that it is like the fashion at the moment. I quite like making them, I have not been asked to interlin them. Because the amount of fabric I use. for good results I triple the Fabric.

Geraldine
                              Couture curtains

Comment

Working...
                              X