Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bedspreads

Evening All,

Just wondered if anyone had any hints and tips on making a bedspread. Have to make one tomorrow for a client.

Have got the instructions from the M & D book but would anyone know how to form a nice curve at the bottom of the bedspread - do people do this or can they be made square?
    Kindest Regards,
    Karen

Re: Bedspreads

I think it will hang better if you can get a nice curve on the corners. I altered one a while ago for someone. The person who'd made it had overlocked the edge, turned it up once rather than twice as you normally would for a hem, then hand stitched in place. The hem on the straight sides was quite wide (approx 1") but it had been trimmed back (to about 1/2") around the corners. It worked very well to keep the curve smooth.

Hope that helps.
    Jane

Comment

For an opulent look the curve needs to be a 1/4 circle, the radius of which is the height of the bed including bedding. Draw it out on a sheet of newspaper. This is your finished line, so add the hem. I would suggest you map it out, and pin it, and then check that you like the way it sits, before you cut.You might find that a little full, in which case, draw round plates until you find a look you like. Binding the hem is easier, as the bias cut covers the bulk of the hem more neatly than gathering it, and the seam of the binding is put just behind the edge.
      Square ones get trodden on,if floor length, but look good if the corner point touches the floor. The style depends on the bed, really, divans need different finishes from iron or wood frames, or those ones that look like drawers(sleigh beds?) And, my, can you play with trims!
      I love making bedspreads and counterpanes, (and no, I have no idea what the difference is.)

Comment

Thanks for your reples, I will have a play around. The bedspread won't be touching the floor so think it probably would look best rounded. What do you think?
        Kindest Regards,
        Karen

Comment

I also love making bedspreads, counterpanes, throws, comforters etc!! Piled up with cushions and pillows, with matching valance and headboard, I think it is one of the best ways to show off our many talents!

I would normally round the corners on a short one, just by using a dinner plate or similar. It also makes binding the eges easier. But don't forget that you could finish it with knife pleat trims or box pleat trims, microcording, flanged cord, piping - the list is endless to be creative.

Regards
          Pen
          Kind regards
          Pen Harrison
          Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thanks Pen,

Am just finishing off a chair this morning so will tackle the bedspread this afternoon.
            Kindest Regards,
            Karen

Comment

Working...
            X