piping a cushion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• piping a cushion

looking for time saving methods, does anyone make up piping then sew onto cushion front or do it all in one go ?
    i would be grateful for any feedback
    love the forum hopefully with more experince i can answer some queries ( in my dreams ) :P

Re: piping a cushion

Hello LSS
    When I make piped cushions I make and put my piping onto the cushion all in one go.
    I wrap the bias strip around the piping cord and sew quite close to the piping whilst attaching to the cushion in one opertaion.Don't sew too close as when putting right sides together sew from the piped side then you can get in even closer so your first row of stitching is not visible.
    Hope that all makes sense.
    Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Hi

Do you use a piping foot Penny?

I do the same but use a piping foot and put the piping on one side of the cushion cover (side without zip) and then sew the otherside to it, hate sewing the piping to the zip, always start there and usually ending doing it a few times till I am happy with it, very rare does it go straight on for me. I have tried changing the foot to a zip foot.

Is there a knack to it?

Kathy
      K W Designs
      Bournemouth

Comment

Morning Kathy
        I use the zip foot on my industrial machine, and sew on to the zip side.With this foot I can get in really close when attaching the two layers all together,but make sure you sew from the piping side so you can see your 1st line of stitching and sew inside this row of stitching.
        This is how I was trained at college in garment manufacture a long time ago.
        Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

hi penny
          thanks for your reply, most helpful i was about to ask about the piping foot also!
          what seam allowance would you use on a cushion ?
          regards
          LSS

Comment

Hi LSS
            The seam allowance is usually determined by the size of cord you use and how wide the piping is cut.
            I cut my cushions the same size as the cushion, then cut my piping 4.5cms wide then I wrap this around a 3mm netted cord.
            This usually give me a seam allowance of about 1.5cms. I wouldn't go any narrower than this and on thicker fabrics would cut my piping wider.
            When the cushion is made up it a about a 2.5-3cms smaller than the size of the cushion which when inserted into the cover gives a plump look. Don't forget to overlock or zigzag the edges of each side before sewing together.
            Hope this makes sense.
            Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

HI Penny

This maybe a dumb quetsion I always zig zag or overlock the edges when the cushion is together, is it better to do it seperately before or does it may no difference?

Kathy
              K W Designs
              Bournemouth

Comment

Hi Kathy
                I always do them seperately purely from habit but it also makes it easier to unpick if they have not gone quite right.
                Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

And also it makes it easier to put thru my overlocker not so many thicknesses to deal with.
                  I just my personnal preference.
                  Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

I overlock separately the raw edges of the seam which is to have the zip in it, a la Maureen Whitemore, and then overlock the other sides together after finishing the cushion.

Comment

I do this the same way as angie. Although I always have trouble getting close enough to the corners with my overlocker. I hate snipping the corners off because it interupts the neat overlocking stitiches.
                      Kim

Comment

Can I hijack this post?

I am about to make my first gussetted piped cushion. Can you tell me what seam allowance to use if any, am tempted to cut the fabric same size as the cushion.

Comment

Working...
                        X