What to Charge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to Charge

I am quoting for a window treatment comprising of two single unlined voile panels each one about 3.5M wide by about 250cm drop. It is railroaded fabric so there are no joins involved. This will have a narrow tape heading and be hand sewn hems.

What should I charge for each panel?

If you don't mind giving me an idea, it would be appreciated. Please PM me if you would prefer.

Thanks,
    Sue.

Re: What to Charge

Hi Sue

Sue if you look in the useful links section,there is a company there called Krams Ugo Ltd - Have a look at their website, they show prices I think. I use this company to make my voiles, they supply and make and are very reasonable. I can't say what I'd charge as I refuse to make anything using voile!

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thanks Philip,
      I don't blame you its not my favourite either. This is cotton soft voile, not shiny nylonny slippery stuff though! Anyway, that website is not giving any idea of costs. I was going to charge my standard unlined curtain price, but it looks too high. Perhaps someone else would be kind enough to give me a guide.
      Thanks.
      Sue

Comment

Hi Sue
        When I get a job like this I work out how long it will take me then charge my normal hourly rate.
        Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

I would class this as making unlined curtains since you're adding heading tape & hand sewing hems and so I would charge it by the width ie the railroaded width (3.5m) div by 137cm to work out the no of widths it would be if it wasn't railroaded - hope that makes sense!
          Jane

Comment

Hi Jane,

Thanks, that is how it worked out, but I was horrified at the amount the total labour charge came out at. However, this is because the customer has gone for a complete crossover curtain, so it is double what it would be if they had been just one set of normal curtains. Plus I am hanging these, included in the price and I have given the design a lot of thought and given a discount on the fabric.

I think I will submit it and see. It is for my hairdresser, and a hair-cut costs £30 for 45 mins work!

Sue.

Comment

She is obviously good and her rates reflect that. Your's should too - you're just as skilled. I have a theory that we work out the price for a job and then think "I wouldn't pay that" and we wouldn't because we don't need to because it's something we can do ourselves (we're OK paying £45 for 30 min hair cut because we can't do that ourselves). And I think it's thoughts like those that stop us from pricing appropriately for our time and skill and end up undercharging.

Go for it - if she doesn't like the price you give her, you can always bring it down if you want.....to but if you start too low, you can't put it up Good luck.
              Jane

Comment

Working...
              X