Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eyelet splitting

Hi

I hope someone can help me with this... I have only ever made a couple of pairs of eyelet curtains before and everything was going well until for some reason that I can not fathom on the last pair I did when you look at the back of the curtain the part of the eyelet that curls round is splitting. I have pressed slowly in case I was being to rough if you see what I mean. I have made sure that once I have cut the hole that the fabric is removed from the die before closing. I have tried not putting the bottom ring in place before cutting. I have made sure that the front ring is on straight before pressing down.... but sometimes it splits and sometimes it doesn't. I have used the same batch of rings ( I bought 100 in one go) before without a problem, so it must be me.....actually its not me at all its my darling husband cos I'm not strong enough to press the darn thing down. Has anyone else had this problem. I'm not sure what to do.

Daisy

Re: Eyelet splitting

Hi Daisy

I gather your using a eyelet press with metel eyelets? I would probably phone the supplier of the eyelets and tell them, it may be a weak batch? Philip will probably be better to advise on this one or someone who uses their maching alot, havent experienced this yet!!

I could understand it with the plastic ones.

Kathy
    K W Designs
    Bournemouth

Comment

Hi Daisy

I haven’t experienced this problem with any eyelets I’ve used, Daisy and can’t think of any reason why this should happen. I can only assume you have a week batch and as Kathy has already advised, you should contact the supplier.

Before you do Daisy, is this happening mainly when using thick fabrics? If so it could be that you’re expecting too much of the eyelet machine and that the fabrics in between the eyelet rings is too much for the machine to cope with.

Philip
      Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thanks guys, yes I am using the metal ones and press. Sorry I didn't really make it that clear. I think I'll go back to Atwell who I got the eyelets and press from. Its the same eyelets and press that M&D sell. Atwell supply them, it was just cheaper going to Atwell rather than M&D.... plus they give a discount!

Philip I don't think there was too much fabric to go through.... I had the lining, the buckram and 3 layers of main fabric which was not particularly thick.

Also would you mind telling me how you finish of the back of your eyelet curtains? I have been trimming the interlining (if using it) and lining at the required drop and then turn the main fabric back over the top and then turn the raw edge under so that it is caught in the eyelet and held in place.

Daisy

Comment

Hi Daisy

Cut the lining and interlining off at the top fold line, fold over the main fabric and bring it under the buckram - Press and slip stitch..

Philip
          Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi Daisy,

I was just wondering if the reason is the same as the 4mm ID diameter eyelets I use for roman blinds. They sometimes split if I press them together too hard from one manufacturer. Another batch I have had always split regardless of the amount of pressure I apply, think it's down to the quality of the metal if that makes sense.
            Jane

Comment

Hi all,

I just had this happen to me for the first time! The very last eyelet I pressed in in a double width pair of curtains just split at the back exactly as Daisy described - I actually heard it split. I have recently started using a different type of press (the Atwells one) so was very careful while I was getting used to the different machine so I don't think I exerted too much pressure. But perhaps I did. So there's a bit of a sharp edge at the back now. Really annoying but I don't think there's anything I can do about it - unless anyone knows a sovereign method of removing eyelets? I've tried removing a few test ones by levering with a screwdriver and all it seems to do is damage the fabric! Any tips out there?!

Thanks
              Sue

Comment

This is slightly worrying as having managed to avoid metal eyelet curtains for 10 years, have just taken my first pair to a place to have them done. I have been quite worried about them anyway, and if they mess-up what happens then? Customers own fabric, hours of my time to get them to the finished state, only to have them spoilt at the end. I'm sure it won't happen, but mistakes and machinery going wrong can happen.

Have to wait and see!

Sue.

Comment

I am waiting for a 11mm eyelet machine to be delivered from Streets. I purchased it specifically for using in the pockets of roman blinds instead of sewing on ordinary rings. Now I am wondering if it is going to be more trouble than it is worth

Has anyone purchased this machine, and if so how successful has it been?

Sas

Comment

Hi Jane, Sue, Sue and Sas!

I too have the Atwell press but I think the reason mine split is because I was using the black eyelets.... the powder coated proper looking black one are very expensive (As far as I know you can only get these direct from Atwell, M&D only sell the cheaper ones) so I bought the cheaper black ones that are more grey than black and decided to spray them black! So now that half the garden furniture and patio is black, along with the once brown guinea pigs....... Anyway it worked really well but on a couple I think that the paint went on the inner part of the ring which may have made it thicker causing it to split. I also think that this is clutching at straws and Phillip will laugh at this!!

Sue which rings were you using that split
                    Sue L how did yours turn out, hope they were ok. It can be worrying esp when someone else is doing the rings and its out of your control.
                    How did you get on with your new machine Sas?

Daisy

Comment

Hi Daisy

Glad your eyelets are working well now........Hope your guineas are ok too

My eyelet press arrives tomorrow so I will have a practice before using it on my current job and report back!

Sas

Comment

Hi Sas,

Good luck with your eyelett press tomorrow... do tell how you get on... we'll await your post! Bet it feels like Christmas Eve..!

Comment

HI Daisy,

The eyelet that split was an Antique Copper one from Atwells. I've used Antique Copper before from my local supplier and didn't have the problem. I've used quite a few different eyelets, chrome, brass, nickel etc (some from my local supplier, some from M&D) and never had one split before. This was the first time I used this type of press though (previously I hired one which was a bit different). I now actually think that I must have pressed to hard on this eyelet - it was the last eyelet in a double width pair of curtains and I perhaps gave it an extra "hooray, I'm finished!" type flourish that caused it to split!

I'll definitely be a bit more gentle in future and if it happens again, I'll report back!

Sue

Comment

Well the press arrived!! After unwrapping it, it looked a bit.....welll..greasy. I know it was only factory grease, but I couldn't let it into the workroom before giving it a bit of a clean
                            After having been excited at its arrival (yes Jules, it was just like christmas eve ) I then kept avoiding the thing as I was terrified of doing something silly and ruining the cutting dies. Anyway, I had a go this evening and it works absolutely fine. However, i am a bit unsure about which way round to put the bottom ring in - I have been putting it in smoother side down, and it worked, although I would have thought it would be sensible to put the ridged side downwards. When I did this I messed it up so didn't do it again (although I may well not have pressed the lever down hard enough as I was so aprehensive!). Can someone enlighten me on this? I know it is a silly question, but the instructions dont mention it.

Once I am confident with the thing (and given it another clean) I will feel that it is money definitely well spent.

Sas

Comment

Hi Sas,

Glad the press has arrived and been de-greased and polished! I bet one of the eyelet guru's will be along to enlighten you re: up and down (I don't even know my own A from my elbow). Anyway, in JL they had square eyelet and they looked really funky. They had set them to look like diamonds rather than squares.

Now I know you've got a press, if I'm ever asked, I'll be on the forum to you or one of the other gurus to take my work in....

Jx.

Comment

Working...
                              X