double sided tape/velcro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• double sided tape/velcro

Not sure if this would work so if anyone could shed some light on what I should do I'd appreciate it.
    Wardrobe in boys bedroom has two glass panels - at the moment there is fabric behind held in place with thumb tacks. Customer wants fabic the same as the curtains I've just made but doesn't want anything hammering in to the wood. I was thinking would double sided tape or velcro (that is if you can get velcro that will adhere to wood) work for me. It's basically just flat piece of fabric inside the glass. I was also thinking of a net wire but again she doesn't want anything screwing in to the wood
    Ursula

Re: double sided tape/velcro

Hi,

You could use the stick on ends for net curtain rods, with the rods, they normally stick in any window until the sun gets to them. Normally last ages in a window so should be ok. And dont forget to put the bottom hooks upside down so they keep the materials tight and dont just let it ride straight of the top of the hooks, i did this before on a door voile curtain and i was lucky i had spare stick on hooks as they dont like to be removed and reused!

Hope this helps,
    Louiserose

Comment

Hi Louiserose,
      Is this right? 2 stick on hooks at the top and 2 stick on hooks upside down on the bottom. Make a small channel for the wire on the fabric both ends and attach. Are there special stick on ends for net curtain rods? I've never come across them.
      Thanks for help
      Ursula

Comment

Hi,

You need to use net rods, these pull out to finished length, the wire would put too much tension on the hooks. I buy mine from Jones. On a very large window you can get centre supports aswell.

Louiserose

Comment

These are for inside a wardrobe door (that has glass panel) not sure the rods would fit but I'll have a look Thursday when fitting the curtains.
          Ursula

Comment

Are these the things you mean Louiserose?

Net rod adhesive supports

Comment

Now that I see what ye were talking about I think they could work. I've never seen them here so I'll measure up on Thursday and order on line and hopefully customer will be ok with them.
              Thanks to you both.
              Ursula

Comment

You can always try self-adhesive velcro on the door and sew in velcro on the the fabric. I think Hickeys stocks both. I can check for you if you like.
                Charl
                Charl

The Curtain Tailor

Comment

I have done this successfully several times with self-adhesive Velcro. One customer wanted flat panels so I used adhesive hook Velcro on the door and sew-in loop Velcro on the fabric panel. Another wanted gathered panels so in that case I used Velcro-friendly narrow curtain tape on the panels, gathered them, then pressed in place. You have to remember to sew the loop Velcro on the right side of the fabric of course, which goes against your instincts!

I have also made lined panels for a customer who didn't mind fixing into the rear of the door. Then I used brass cafe rods top and bottom which hold in place with spring clips which means you can put a little tension on the fabric to get a taught finish.

Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I've done quite a few of these behind chicken wire doors! I used the velcro option like Louise describes.
                    Yvonne

Comment

Don't forget to take some alcohol, not to drink, but to clean the surface before sticking on the velcro We also stock the velcro and net rods.
                      Kind regards
                      Pen Harrison
                      Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Sorry Pen, my google search took me wherever and I was just after a photo......

Comment

No problem, Jules, I expect you can buy them at Ikea as well (but ours are better....)
                          Kind regards
                          Pen Harrison
                          Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Comment

Glad to hear Hickeys might have velcro that will stick to wood so I'll check out - thanks to everyone.
                              Ursula

Comment

Working...
                              X