Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fabric not straight?

Help!

This post will show my inexperience but hey ho, here goes....

I have received some gingham fabric for some blinds and curtains. When I lay out the fabric the bottom edge bows inwards making a straight line impossible to achieve.

I rang the supplier (Titley & Marr) and was told to clip the selvedges (done that) and if that didn't work iron the fabric whilst clamping it and pulling it square. I tried this but it still won't lie straight.

Any ideas?
    From Jo

Re: Fabric not straight?

That'll be gingham - The best gingham I have ever used was actually Laura Ashley stuff, wonderful to work with. In my experience you can't reply on gingham or checked fabrics to square off using the obvious lines. You have to do your best, make a judgement and go with it.. Otherwise return it if you feel it's faulty. I find it outrageous that Titley & Marr suggest a tug of war in order to get their fabrics to lay square..

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

I wasn't sure if I should have used the pattern as a straight edge guide so asked T&M and they said yes! Was gutted when they suggested tug of war.

I didn't realise that gingham could be such a b*gger, it looks so innocent

Will have another look tomorrow. Thanks Philip.
      From Jo

Comment

Gingham and checks can be a nightmare for not being square. You may well find that the seams cause problems as well, and I do hope that you are not making roman blinds, Mossy, you will have the same problems with them. Most houses have windows that are not true square and if the romans are outside the recess you can just about get away with it, but inside the recess..........as Schubby says , you just have to make a call and if you are really really unhappy, then speak to the client. Perhaps plain romans trimmed with the check, if thats what you are doing.

Never worry about inexperience , everyone has had to start somewhere, sometime, and no question is daft. Its good when something that has been worrying one is answered by someone here and one realises that one had been correct all along....one of the the joys of the forum!! ( Does not look right, but I am sure that you get my drift)

Enid

Comment

I had the same problem with a woven fabric from Anna French recently - there was a big dip downwards in the middle of the fabric. I did get over it by pinning to my table and steam ironing into shape for the roman blind I was making, and it went OK (the pattern made it very obvious it it had not been straight). However, it was quite a thick/stiff fabric, so it did more or less stay the way it was ironed. It was a bit of a pain tho'.
          Rosannagh

Comment

Gingham can be a nightmare even on small pelmets, I had the luxury of pulling and stapling this to MDF, it was still hard work and it is not even 2' wide
            [attachment=0:3ndr230y]DSCN0049.JPG[/attachment:3ndr230y]
            Attached Files
            Regards Dave and Sue

Comment

Thanks for all your posts. I am going to sleep on it (not literally but if it helps I will ) and decide what to do in the morning.
              From Jo

Comment

Mossy, you are SO not alone! I'm sure most of us here have had a nightmare gingham experience at some point or other!

I've just made 3 cushion covers in a check from GP&J Baker (so pretty expensive stuff). The fabric "bowed" dreadfully down the middle of length. Despite clipping selvedges & having a tug of war, I couldn't get it square. In the end, made the cushions to the check rather than properly square. Now they have their squishy duck feather pads inside, the lack of squareness isn't noticable at all.

Had a similar problem making a roman blind in a gingham a few years ago (fortunately for my own daughter). It turned out OK in the end but was a nightmare keeping the gingham straight. So when a customer recently chose a similar gingham for her daughter's room my heart sank. As it turned out, the fabric she chose (from The Dormy House) was lovely, very good quality (not too expensive) and no wonky issues at all. Made up beautifully.
                Jane

Comment

I have had so many problem checks and it doesn't seem to matter if they are top or botton end of the market. I always inform the customer first about the possible problems before I take on the work, and so pass on the responsibility to them.
                  Janie

Comment

Thanks Jane and Janie.

I have been out this morning hanging some existing curtains for some elderley neighbours this morning so have been able to put off thinking about this fabric... until now. However, I think the dogs need a walk so that gives me another hour
                    From Jo

Comment

Oh dear...have been searching on this, my favourite forum, tonight for tips on another subject (cushions to go on a pole above a bed instead of a headboard..will post on that another time) but have come across this section about gingham not always being straight. I have just purchased a load of gingham fabrics in a sale as I thought "I know I can use it as it never seems to go out of fashion" ..maybe I've made a mistake there then?!!

Comment

Working...
                      X