blackout lining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blackout lining

Just took delivery of fabric and blackout lining. The lining was folded for about 4 days and it's fairly creased. As I've never worked with blackout before I have a couple of questions:

Can I iron the b/o lining?
    Can I steam iron b/o lining?
    And if I can what side ?

I have it draped over the banister at the moment to see if that helps. Also am I right in saying I will only have a single hem (no turn under) ?

Awaiting reply before I start.
    Thanks Ursula

Re: blackout lining

Always try on a small edge piece....but.....I get my blackout from M&D and steam iron it on the side that does not have the velvety finish. You will never get a sharp crease in it but will be able to smooth out un-wanted crumpling. While you are ironing it, or moving it while still warm, be careful not to catch/pull it as it does go a bit stretchy until cool.

It does not fray like cotton lining so a single hem is adequate.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hi Ursula
      I use a use a steam iron on my blackout linings but make sure it is not too hot.
      I only do a single hem on blackout.

Try a test piece first and a trial hem to make sure you are happy with how it will look.
      Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Thanks Louise and Penny
        Ursula

Comment

Hi Ursula

I don't use a steam iron; I buy my blackout lining from Jones and never have to use more than a 'medium iron' on the fabric side ie the side on which you can see a weave. I use their bonded blackout lining too and that doesn't need more than a 'medium iron' either A single hem is just fine too!

Gilly

Comment

Thats Gilly,

The client had the lining folded tightly in a bag for 4 days ah............she bought it herself so no choice but to plow ahead.

Comment

I agree with the others but .......did you say anything when it came in the bag? Personally, I would do my best with it, for your professional satisfaction, but don't lie awake at night worrying about it. When the job is finished and she is happy AND has paid you, you can gently tell her, if she has more work for you in the future, where not to put the blackout lining!!

Enid.

Comment

Hi Enid,

Thanks for that. No I didn't say anything because I had never used blackout before and hadn't realised how awful it looked until I put it on the table. But as you say I'll do my best and hang it up in my sewing room and hopefully it will drape ok.
                Ursula

Comment

I always score the wrong side of B/O lining with a fine crochet hook and then finger crease.
                  Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thanks Schubby will do that

Comment

Well the black out eyelets turned out lovely - very happy little twin girls in their new bedroom tonight - thank you all for helping me.
                      Ursula

Comment

Working...
                      X