Time...how long

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time...how long

I would find it really helpful if you could all divulge how long on average it takes you to :-

Slipstitch hem on 1 width of fabric?
    Herringbone 240cms of side hems?
    Slipstitch linings to fabric on 240cm curtain?

I'm asking these questions cos,I think I am working below min wage I remember either a post or on chat being told that it only takes 4 mins to sew each row of lockstiching...not managed to achieve this, has anyone else
    Regards
    Mairi

Re: Time...how long

I've never timed myself on individual actions. How long does it take you to make a pair of curtains, and what does that work out at an hourly rate? There are links here somewhere (Louise will know) to 'commercial' websites where you can see their charges for comparison (remember they probably include VAT).

I would guess it takes me 5-8 mins to herringbone a side hem 3-4 mins to slipstitch lining in place. But then there's the pinning, finding thread and needle, threading the needle.

I always try to plan ahead so that I work in the most logical way with the least amount of wasted time. Doesn't always work though! My apprentice now wears a toolbelt with everything in it, which she absolutely loves and so doesn't waste time walking round the table to pick up her scissors, but I can't get used to it.
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Commerical pricing sites are in the members only area......
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hi there.
        OMG, Pen how do you slip-stitch the sides in 3-4 mins? It usually takes me at least half an hour for each side, mind you I always feel that the curtains are very expensive especially if they're interlined so I dont rush. I would take a good couple of days to make a pair of hand made pinch pleats, maybe I,m very slow !!!
        Regards Helen

Comment

Hi Mairi

I did actually time myself before xmas just to see what my hourly rate was working for a shop.

So for slipstiching a hem on a 2.5 width curtain was 30 mins.
          20 mins to make both linings.
          1 hour to line in and sew tape on per side

this was a curtain of 168 cm drop

I dont think you will be working below min wage Mairi but when you work from home, it is very easy to go off and do something else, this is why I timed myself as I am easily lead!!! and for this pair of curtains - 2.5 widths 168 cms long with a pattern, taped heading, took me 5 hours all hand done (except tape of course)

Try timing yourself and write it down and it may make you feel better.

Kathy
          K W Designs
          Bournemouth

Comment

That seems really quick Kathy! I get side tracked all the time! Been trying to make a roman blind 267cm wide with huge pattern and a 152cm drop for 10 days now!
            Yvonne

Comment

That was probably over two days lol in-between doing something else!! I would of been completely bored if I spent a whole 5 hours non stop doing one pair of curtains!!! At Christmas I was flat out with shop work.

Kathy
              K W Designs
              Bournemouth

Comment

We should call you Speedy !

Kathy that is fast, wow!

Comment

That sounds like my sort of timing Yvonne
                  Janie

Comment

Well, there is ;
                    the browsing on here time,
                    the checking for other sites and emails
                    a couple of games of bedazzled or maybe mahjong,
                    two trips to the little girls room,
                    time to go downstairs to make and drink the mid am coffee + check whats on the TV,
                    whats in the fridge for tea, if anything or dive into the freezer......then theres the defrost or panic time,
                    answer the phone at least two times,
                    empty the washing machine , make the bed etc etc.

Tell me where does one fit in the curtain making around that.? I would try to time myself but I am so easily ditracted especially when working at home, that I dare not !!

Enid

Comment

Enid,
                      Thank you for telling my story lol
                      Ursula

Comment

Ah Enid how right you are:
                        I have today: Unloaded last night's washing and hung up, loaded another lot, washed the kitchen and hall floor, cleaned the kitchen, loaded the dishwasher, made two cups of coffee, cuddled the cat cos he would not settle, made several phone calls, taken 2 phone calls, been on here numerous times, checked emails and responded, and actually sewn three rows of lockstitch on this interlined blind - oops me thinks I am not organising my time properly. Think I may go and make some lunch now!
                        Yvonne

Comment

if you do want to time yourself on a job, invest in a stop watch, so that when you leave off working to do something equally important (like browse this site) or just get bored and distracted, you can stop the watch, then start it again when you start.
                          Kind regards
                          Pen Harrison
                          Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thanks for your comments ladies & for making me

Hope you all have a very productive week..mine is Not starting well, it's 10.55 & I'm still on here..only came on to find info about tracks but not even looked there yet as I just had to have a wee quick squint at the 'active posts'
                            Regards
                            Mairi

Comment

Ah well, Mairi, thats what happens to wee quick squints !!!!!!! Its soooooo dangerous.

Seriously though, I am going to have a day where I time myself, but as everyone of us will have a different method of starting and completing jobs, I think one has to take a pinch of salt with ' comparisons'. I like to cut the whole job, seam up the face fabric and the linings beore I tackle any hand sewing. The interlined curtain that I did last Monday won't be headed until its partner is complete and they are both at the same stage. What I think I am trying to say is that we all work at different speeds, some of us find some bits easier that others, hence we are quicker at some stages. You have to set your own timescale and as long as you and your customer are happy with that, then I don't think that I would worry too much. There is ALWAYS going to be the job that you have to do over the weekend or work till later in the evening, thats what comes of working at home and being your own boss.

Enid

Comment

Working...
                              X