Interlinings - Floating @ hem??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interlinings - Floating @ hem??

I have always locked my interlinings into my hems, but over the years, having been back to curtains I made a long time ago, they can bag at the bottom and cause the hems to hang strangely. I have always been a bit scathing about the loose interlinings I have seen but the more I think about it this may be the way to solve the problem. If the curtains are overlength this problem does not matter, but on "just to the floor" length curtains it may just work. Obviously I would continue to interlock to the curtain and handsew the sides as normal. What are peoples thoughts on this technique.

Many Thanks

Julie
    Julie

Re: Interlinings - Floating @ hem??

I have a feeling that this has come up before and admit that it is something that could work. I agree with the saggy hems. Its done commercially and I have seen it in ready mades where the interlining was just hanging and finished just above the hem of the normal lining. Might be worth a try .

Enid

Comment

We have started to do this, especially on lighter weight fabrics. It has worked well so far, and no one has commented on it. We interlock them in, and also chain stitch the three layers at the bottom.
      Kind regards
      Pen Harrison
      Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

This sounds interesting as I am just about to start some very long curtains with interlining, and thinnish face fabric.
        Pen, can I ask - would you overlock or finish off the bottom edge of the interlining at all? Also, (and the answer is probably obvious) when you interlock the sides in, what happens at the mitred corner - would the bottom of the interlining stop just before the mitre? I am assuming that you fold the face fabric over the interlining as usual at the side hems.
        Sas

Comment

Yes, overlock the bottoms. Fold up and stitch the hem of the face fabric, put interlining on top, fold in side hem and make a mock mitre.
          Kind regards
          Pen Harrison
          Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thanks Pen - I will definitley try this method with the next curtains.

Comment

I have just hung the curtains I was using this method for and am very happy with the way they hung. I overlocked the interlining with a very close overlocking stitch and it all looked very neat. I think I may well carry on doing this from now on. It is nice to know that other people are using this method as well.

Julie
              Julie

Comment

Hi Julie,

Would love to see a pic! Well done for trying a new way.

One question.... How do you find the face fabric hem without any interlining in it? Would you ever consider putting a strip just in the hem to give the curtain the same feel at the hem as they will have at the leading and back edges?

Comment

We find the hem can seem a bit thin with floating interlinings so we put a strip if interlining into the hem, but if we are making overlong curtains we take the interlining into the hem. we have been using this method for several years now & no longer have problems with baggy hems

Comment

Sounds like I'll be having a go then! Thanks Ali

Comment

I have been very interested in this thread and did discuss it with Jules last week. It is something we will be trying out in the new year.
                      Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Just to report that I used this method on my last job - three pairs of triple pleat domette lined curtains, almost 3m long. The result was very pleasing, especially as the main fabric was synthetic (I would have normally considered sarril but I really wanted the drape of domette) and it didnt like the interlining at all
                        So I can heartily recommend floating interlinings!

Sas

Comment

Hi sas
                          I'm very keen to try this method...I hink I will try it out of some display curtains I have coming up. It may take a while..................
                          Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

About to start a pr of 2w in embroidered silk and as I have an alteration / fixing coming up in the same fabric, the interlining has caused the whole thing to drop, am going to give this method a go. Using sarill, do you think I need to tidy the lower edge, its cut nice and square, and was wondering whether to go for a normal hem, or add a strip of interlining. They are full length bedroom curtains, but its a small room so the hem of them is not the first thing that one sees on entering the room.
                            Will wait before I do any more....well that my excuse for just now.

Enid

PS Penny, valance worked a treat and looks good, no joins

Comment

Hi Enid glad to hear that the trim on the valance worked out ok.
                              I would overlock the Sarill myself, not that it needs it it just looks better to me and I would also put a strip of interlining in the hem.
                              Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Working...
                              X