Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second Opinions Please - Half Drop Repeat

Hello everyone

I am having a problem with a Lewis and Wood fabric called Adam's Eden - the fabric is 132 wide and the pattern repeat is 108.5cm and is also a half drop. I have spoken to Philip already about this and a good friend of mine who is an interior designer and we all draw the same conclusion that there is not enough fabric.

I have just looked on the frequently asked questions in the Soft Furnishings section and have used the formula to work out the following:

Pair 1 - Width 386cm Depth 250cm (6 widths being used)
    Cut drop = 2.7 metres - Pattern repeat – 108.5cm
    2.7 metres divided by 108.5cm = 2.48 pattern repeats. Round up to 3.
    3 x 108.5cm = 325.5cm minus 2.7 metres cut drop = 55.5cms of extra fabric in each cut length
    The 55.5cms of spare fabric is already more than the half drop so no additional fabric is required in this situation

I make it a total of 19.53 metres required for this set of curtains.

Pair 2 - Width 165cm Depth 244cm (3 widths)
    Cut drop = 2.64 metres - Pattern repeat - 108.5cm
    2.64m divided by 108.5cm = 2.43 pattern repeats. Round up to 3.
    3 x 108.5cm = 325.5cm minus 2.64m = 61.5cms of extra fabric in each cut length
    The 61.5cms of spare fabric is already more than the half drop so no additional fabric is required in this situation

I make this pair a total of 9.8 metres required for this set of curtains.
    So in total - 29.3 metres of fabric.

I read a post from Enid which says to cut the first length to the required cut length (270cm) then to match the next one to it and so on. So does that mean for 6 widths (2 curtains) that I match 1,3,5 for left curtain and I match 2,4,6 together for right curtain?

How does this work for a 3 width pair of curtains (1.5 in each)?

I am sorry for typing such a long thread but if anyone could check my measurements and confirm how I join I would be really very grateful. I have worked with this fabric before and I remember it being a real pain in the neck before but that was over a year ago now!

Many thanks in advance.
    Yvonne

Re: Second Opinions Please - Half Drop Repeat

Hi Yvonne,

Half repeats drive me up the wall!

The only way I can describe how to work out 5 widths is from the following:

http://www.seweasywindows.com/articles/ ... match.html

I do hope the info helps

Comment

Where you have a drop of fabric that cuts on or before a half pattern it should be possible to cut at the half pattern and the next drop should join straight on. That way you will save some fabric.
      the first pair should cut at 271cm using 16.3m

the second pair should cut on the same basis "EXCEPT" for adjusting the drop for the half widths though if you cut this last
      this pair should use 9.25m

Pin it through first on that basis and you may be suprised.

Phil

Comment

Hi Yvonne,

have just come home....been gallivanting and coffee morning and ladies who lunch today....not got the correct hat on, but with regard to the matching of half drops, I usually pin the whole thing together as I cut , THEN divide it where it needs, so a pair of three widthers will have 6 bits all roughly pinned before separating into two curtains....does that make sense?

as for the rest, sorry , not got myself into curtain-mode so I'm not any help!!!!!
        Enid

Comment

Did you manage to cut it?

Phil

Comment

Hi Phil

No I haven't yet, its back under my bench as I have been in London all day today and was narrow boating yesterday.
            I am hoping to have a try and pin on Wednesday to see -
            Will let you know once I have tried it out!
            Thanks for your advice.
            Yvonne

Comment

Hi Phil

You are right! Cut each drop at 271cm for the first pair makes 16.3m and this works when pinning through. Which of course I am very suprised about!
              Haven't even worried about the second pair as there is not enough fabric in any event to do those: Lewis and Wood have been extremely helpful though and they are going to contact me on Monday to let me know how to resolve this.

Thanks for your help.
              I know understand a bit more about half drop repeats. Although have to say I thought this one was particular hard to work out!
              Yvonne

Comment

Hi,
                I usually allow an extra pattern repeat for every other width. I cut the first as normal, cut the next with an extra repeat, cut the third as normal etc. Once they're joined I trim the bottom level and carry on as normal. Might waste a bit of fabric but always works.

Anne W

Comment

Working...
                X