Curtain Labels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curtain Labels

Does anyone use labels for their curtain work these days, We have always used our company details on a label to sew in, this is great for getting repeat business, we aren't affraid to put our name on items we make, even vertical blinds have a label stitched onto the last louvre/vane so that when people move house, they leave curtains /blinds behind and new occupiers are next new clients, ..... well usually.
    What I was wondering though , is , what do people put into curtains with regards to care labels, do you sew in a care label, or what do people use, ?
    we manufacture work for a few Hotels, and in the past we have had labels printed with dry clean only, flame retardant, or wash depending on the fabrics used, obviously all Hotels must have Fire retardant fabrics, but now the curtains are starting to get more complex, some asking for Fire retardant fabric, with Interlining, and then blackout lining, whilst I understand Blackout , interlining and Duable Fire retardant fabrics all to be washable, what labels if any would anyone use. ?

Re: Curtain Labels

Hi Malc
    We put woven labels on all our domestic work with the compnay contact details.
    I have in the past put care instructions on customer's invoices but have never considered care intruction labels.
    Is this something that you have been specifically asked to do or new legislation making it a requirement for commercial work. It does sound like it could be a nightmare as I would imagine you would need several different types of label depending on combination of fabrics and also fibre content.
    Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

'Sorry to 'highjack' this thread but does anyone know where is a good source of woven labels?

Cat C.
      Kind regards

Cat

Comment

we use http://www.wovenlabelsuk.com
        the more you buy the cheaper they become and they are a nice quality label.
        Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Originally posted by Penny
          Hi Malc
          We put woven labels on all our domestic work with the compnay contact details.
          I have in the past put care instructions on customer's invoices but have never considered care intruction labels.
          Is this something that you have been specifically asked to do or new legislation making it a requirement for commercial work. It does sound like it could be a nightmare as I would imagine you would need several different types of label depending on combination of fabrics and also fibre content.
          Hi Penny,
          It is something I have been asked to do through designers I work with, they have asked the question and although it does seem like hard work, I seem to think it could cover our backs, if info is put on the invoice, it could be misplaced, or conveniently lost, the client insisting they never got instructions, etc, etc,.
          I tend to think that we may get away with a couple of labels, wash at 40, dont dry clean, and dont tumble dry, dont use solvent, ( all with symbols of course ) then another with dry clean only.
          It would make sense with Hotel work, as it could be very costly if they were handled wrongly.

for years now, we have been sewing a little printed tag into the last louvre/vane of a vertical blind, either DO NOT WASH or SPONGE TO CLEAN, saves the numerous bits of hassle saying 'well your salesperson told me they were washable ' ..............its there in black and white for them , well in our case Blue and white.

thanks for the reply,
          Malc.

Comment

I get my labels from Cash's.
            Yvonne

Comment

If you put washing/cleaning advice labels, doesn't this then give you some sort of liability if things go wrong? In my view curtains should never be washed or dry cleaned as basically it ruins them. I would only clean them if absolutely in desperate need, but then be prepared for the fact that they may then need replacing. However they are treated, the linings/interlinings/face fabric each react in different ways to the chemicals or water, in my experience. What do others think?
              Janie

Comment

I agree Janie, I would never wash or dry clean curtains either. I advise hoovering or giving a good shake. And yes, I do think that if you put a label with instructions you could be liable when Mrs Client sticks it on a hot wash in the machine and it shrinks!
                Kind regards
                Pen Harrison
                Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Morplan (www.morplan.co.uk) do a range of care labels - have a look under their 'Sewing' category. There are also a few other things which might be of interest to curtainmakers.

Comment

Originally posted by janie
                    If you put washing/cleaning advice labels, doesn't this then give you some sort of liability if things go wrong? In my view curtains should never be washed or dry cleaned as basically it ruins them. I would only clean them if absolutely in desperate need, but then be prepared for the fact that they may then need replacing. However they are treated, the linings/interlinings/face fabric each react in different ways to the chemicals or water, in my experience. What do others think?
                    Janie
                    Hi Janie,
                    I agree, it does give the client something to throw back at you, but we have been asked to do this for the Hotels we work for as the Housekeepers have no idea what to do with them, and in the Hotel trade, curtains do get a lot of hammer, we also make bedtrows and quilts up for them, and these all have to have labels on, you do try to cover your back a little by putting a few paragraphs in your terms and conditions, along the line that you are NOT responsible for the goods if care instructions are not followed to the letter, can honestly say that in 28 years, we have had little comebacks, not saying we havent had any, but a few we can handle.
                    I am also a firm believer tho that cleaning and washing does wreck the fabric and hang qualities of them, and always advise our clients to take the curtains down on a breezy day, ( take your pick out of the 250 days a year we have ) and put them on a line outside, let the wind refresh them and the occassional vaccuum wont come in wrong.

Malc,

Comment

I get my labels from labelname.co.uk, honestly have to say they are great you can customise everything online and you see an instant preview! Hope this helps

Comment

Working...
                      X