Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is domette machine washable?

What is Domette?

Client wants a throw for the sofa that she can snuggle under at night. She's recently bereaved and I'm using some of her late husband's shirts with other recycled cotton items for the patchwork top. I was thinking about using wadding for the "padding" but I wondered about domette as I think it might feel nicer. However, she has a dog, so this throw has to be machine washable.

Anyone any idea if the domette would survive the machine?

Lois

Re: Is domette machine washable?

Yes, but I strongly recommend, indeed insist, that you wash it before making up, in case of shrinkage (likely). I know this takes away the newness, but will increase the softness, which is perhaps more important here.

What about a cotton blanket? Also prewashed?

You must have a scrap somewhere, stuff it in a pillow case and see. I've just remade some curtains with washed domette, one piece was longer than the other, but of course I have no idea if this was shrinkage or previous needlewoman's inaccurate cutting. Still nice to handle, and you'd never have known from the finished curtains.

Comment

Thanks. I was wondering about an old blanket (ie charity shop find) but worried about washing that too! At least I'll know the domette was new. I think I'll use it instead of wadding as it'll feel much softer and nicer, I think, than the synthetic wadding.

Thank you!

Comment

Bluebell, there are many washable patchwork waddings available that are much softer than synthetic wadding - dont use domette as it may go lumpy. Try thecottonpatch.co.uk for their range of waddings.
        Kind regards
        Pen Harrison
        Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

How about using one of those microfibre blankets/throws, for backing, they are washable cheap and cosy.
          Eileen.

Comment

Thanks for the Cotton patch suggestion - fab site and I'll consider that and the bought throw ideas. I'll speak to my client and see what she thinks of all these ideas. Thanks!!

Comment

Domette will definately shrink in the wash as i tried to use it in a baby quilt and ended up undoing it all, do get the proper quilting wadding from sites suggested, in the long run it will save you alot of time!

Ally
              Ally

Comment

Working...
              X