Silk Bullion Fringe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silk Bullion Fringe

I am trying to fix a silk bullion fringe onto my curtain swags and tails and am having difficulty with the ends.

The fringe came in a single length with the ends secured with cellotape. When the cellotape is removed, or if the fringe is cut, the whole thing rapidly starts unravelling and falling apart (and I guess being made of silk it is especially slippery).

What is the right way of coping with this? Should one stitch across the end several times first, before cutting? Should one wrap thread around the rope like top of the fringe, as if one was whipping a rope?

Sorry to ask such a basic question but I am self taught and my sewing book doesnt go into this level of detail.

Re: Silk Bullion Fringe

Hi Nigel
    Welcome to the forum.
    When I am dealing with fringing I put selotape aroung the tape prior to cutting. Cut thru the middle of the tape so some is left on the end of roll, then I carefully remove the tape from the piece I will be using. I apply something called fraystop to the end which I think basically is watered down PVA glue.Allow to dry and the fold the raw edge under.
    Handsew the fringing on as normal. Fraystop can be purchased from the haberdashery department of John Lewis.
    Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

You can also just turn the raw edge to the back and overstitch to secure, although I usually use adhesive, the same as Penny.
      Kind regards
      Pen Harrison
      Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thanks - very helpful. I like the sound of the glue option and will try it out.

Comment

If you are searching for it online, some places call it Fray Check (is the same stuff).
          Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Yesterday afternoon I dropped into Henry Newbery's shop in Newman Street, just off Oxford Street, to ask what they recommended. They also suggested glue, but a rather different kind. They said you can use a hot glue gun, the hit the end down onto a flat surface such as a sheet of glass to cool the glue and flatten the end.

As it happens I have a hot glue gun at homeso I tried it last night and it seemed to work quite well, and I managed to complete my first swag!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/ph...7&id=628418472

Comment

Well done Nigel!
              I think there might be something wrong with your link tho! Its not coming up as your swag.
              Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Maybe this will work:

http://fitzwalter.blogspot.com/2009/...completed.html

Comment

Well done Nigel excellent job for your first swag.
                  Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Working...
                  X