Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selvedge

Hi

I'm working on my first 'professional' curtains and the fabric is very thin with mostly white background (Globaltex Butterfly range) my question is:- Would you normally trim the selvedge off white fabric, I'm worried that the markings, (not sure what they are called), on the selvedge will show through once the curtains are up and daylight shines through, although they look fine laying on my work table, the curtains will have white lining.

Has anyone else used this fabric, if so, as the fabric seems so thin, was a blind hemmer used?

Many thanks

JE

Re: Selvedge

That fabric is painfully thin - more like blouse fabric than curtain fabric!! Personally, I would cut off the selvedge as the printing on it will show through unless it's being blackout lined or interlined. Actually, perhaps you should recommend interlining as the fabric's so thin.....they'll be like a puff of fresh air without it
    Jane

Comment

Your absolutely right, but she is on a very tight budget, I will obviously suggest the interlining though. At present she has a blackout roller blind, but wants to change to a blackout Roman, not sure how I'm will tackle that as and when it happens, never used blackout before.

JE

Comment

If the fabric is as thin as you both say and the customer won't have interlining, then you will need to trim the selvedge off. Seam as normal, press the seams before trimming before you cut.... as if you cut them you won't have anything to grab hold of when pressing.......if that makes sense. Alternatively you will need to seam them and overlock the selvedge if you can to tidy and prevent fraying. Its all good fun and part of the learning curve.

Enid

Comment

Thanks Enid - Would I overlock the seam edges together once trimmed or just each edge individually, does that make sense!!

JE

Comment

I feel that would depend on how good your overlocker is, my machine does not like it much, so I would to do it on each edge individually, more of a zig-zag stitch to prevent fraying. If the finished seam is very narrow, you can always press it closed outwards , lying towards the outside edge.

Enid

Comment

If you do a blackout roman, use normal lining to line the blind & make the rod pockets in then use the blackout (or, even better, interlining bonded to blackout) to interline the blind. Making rod pockets with blackout is horrible & the rod pocket stitching will be even more visible than usual with that fabric.
              Jane

Comment

Hi JE,
                I always trim selvedges off. It gets rid of the registration marks (the numbers and so on down the side) which may show through a lighter fabric. It also gets rid of any thicker threads that some fabrics have in the selvedge. These can react differently in the atmosphere, shrinking more or less than the rest of the fabric.

I don't think you need to overlock the edges, unless the fabric is extremely fraying. I trim as close as necessary to the seam, even to within a couple of millimetres, and the edges are not going to be handled or put under stress like, say, an item of clothing, so once made up should not fray.

Regards
                Pen
                Kind regards
                Pen Harrison
                Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thanks Pen

I now have all my widths joined, will trim the selvedge tomorrow and see how the fabric behaves, My first 'professional' job so I'm understandable nervous.

JE

Comment

Working...
                  X