Wonky printing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonky printing...

I'm sure this is something lots of you deal with daily but I've never been quite sure the right way to handle this.....I have a pair of pencil pleat curtains to make - 2 widths in each curtain. Have just come to cut the fabric (flopsy pink from Prestigous) and the pattern is wonky by about 2cm across the width of the fabric - ie the bottom of a flower on one side of the width is about 2cm lower than the same flower the other side. Do I cut and make up the curtains according to the pattern or do I cut & make them square and put up with the pattern not being straight - it will be quite visible.
    Jane

Re: Wonky printing...

Sounds like our discussion last night and this morning. If fabric is printed off, and it's not simply that the fabric has been rolled and stored badly so pulling it out of shape, you have to make the curtains square.

If they are not square, they will never hang properly. Many years ago, I imported fabric that I was scared to make up as was so expensive. I used a 'well respected' interior design company. When my curtains arrived, they had been made to the pattern, but not square. THEY NEVER EVER HUNG PROPERLY. They upset me everyday and I had to change them as they were so off. By the time I'd replaced them I was nearly £2,000 down.

Comment

Cheers Jules. I'm making them for a good friend who has curtain making experience so will understand the issue. Think in this instance, I'll have a chat with her & see what will bug her most - wonky curtains or wonky pattern.
      Jane

Comment

Hi Jane
        I am working on a Romo fabric called Senza with wonky printing. It can be a real pain and I have spent ages on it so far, but I always make the curtains square too. I find that the pattern usually lines up vertically and that is what I would make sure is correct as I think that's what your eye is more likely to pick up. The fact that the pattern runs out along the top and hem gets lost is the actual heading and in my experience isnt really noticed at the hem because of the folds. Hope this helps and it turns out OK.
        Daisy

Comment

I think you're right Daisy. It is the vertical that draws the eye and there is nothing you can do about mis-printing.

Comment

I've cut them now & have matched 2 widths vertically no problem. The hem's going to be at eye level so I think the wonky print along the hem might be quite visible. I'll let my friend decide on this one
            Jane

Comment

Hi

How weird I have just made a pair of curtains with the same problem, I made them square at first and then my friend with 40 year experience in soft furnishings, told me not to do that and to ease it out so the pattern is the same along. So I have altered them to that way and I am not so sure that was the best idea.

Interested to know what anybody else thinks on this.

Kathy
              K W Designs
              Bournemouth

Comment

I would suggest if the print is badly off line you should return the fabric as faulty - Lay the fabric flat on the table, use the side of the table to square the fabric; take a straight edge and measure how much the pattern is out, if it's a few inches or more I'd certainly return.

If it's not a major issue, use the side of you table and fold and line up your hem.. I wouldn't follow a wonky pattern. Line the selvedge edge with the table to find your level.

Philip
                Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thanks for all your suggestions. I did try easing out the pattern but it didn't work so have squared up the selvedge along the edge of the table & turned up the hem as Philip suggested. It's taken the whole morning which is frustrating. The pattern along the hem isn't straight but thankfully it's quite a busy pattern so hopefully won't show too much. As the fabric was already cut before I realised the extent of the problem, I wouldn't be able to get a refund but I shall be much more vigilant next time about checking the straightness of the pattern before cutting.
                  Jane

Comment

At least you've finished them Jane. Better off your table than there to worry about! Well done.

Comment

Working...
                    X