buying a eyelet press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying a eyelet press

Amazed and delighted to find exactly the kind of advice I am looking for re: buying a professional eyelet press for curtains! However, the info was posted in January 2008. Does anyone have any further up to date advice or experience of buying a press, such as what to look for and what to avoid, reliablity of the machine working etc? (My fear is an eyelet goes wrong in someone's expensive fabric and it's impossible to remove and rectify!).

Re: buying a eyelet press

Hello peggyjolin

Firstly welcome to the forum, glad you found us! With regards the information here on the eyelet press, things haven't changed at this level of machine. Have you looked at the posts here on the press? Eyelet Press As with all eyelet presses, care should be taken before cutting the fabric as there is no going back once you've made the hole.

Several of our members have recently bought eyelet presses and I'm sure they will leave a comment before long!

Hope this helps!
    Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hello Philip and many thanks! This is my first experience of communicating on a web site such as yours and I am so pleased to receive such a swift response. I actually found the U-Tube video on inserting eyelets and that led me to the my.decozo site, on which I also found the article you refer to. I shall look forward to responses from other press users as well then. I also see that people find themselves endlessly browsing the Q & A's and I suspect I shall be joining the ranks!

Comment

Hi Peggyjoplin,
        Welcome from me too, its a fantastic forum and i would not be without it. People are so friendly and helpful.
        Just to let you know i bought a Eyelet press from Atwells last Christmas, it has the single movement (cutting the fabric and then closing the eyelet). You buy the cutting dyes at different sizes, there are 25mm, 40mm 66mm in size. I bought just the one size for now which is the 40mm, as its the one size everyone seems to want at my end. I would'nt be without this machine for the world, it took all the hard work away from me and now i love getting eyelet curtains to do.They also give my curtains a very professional finish. Good luck if you get one, you won't look back.

Janette
        Jan

Design & Curtain Studio

Comment

Hi Peggyjoplin,

Welcome to the forum, it's like one big family here.
          I purchased my eyelet press a couple of months ago and I love it, there's no way I'd go back to cutting out the holes for eyelets. It certainly takes the hard work out of making eyelets and the curtains are so much nicer when finished.
          Ursula

Comment

I bought a new eyelet press from Atwells a couple of weeks ago, and am delighted with it. I had the other type - which Jones sell - on loan from another curtainmaker before that, and the Atwells one beats it hands down because it is single action. You don't have to change the cutter for a pressing tool after making all the holes! The guide/jig thing is also well worth buying.

One thing which I have learnt about eyelets are that some customers are incredibly fussy about the match of eyelet to pole, so it really pays to get it right, and if possible supply the pole as well! The thing I haven't really got my head round yet is whether, as manufacturers say, the eyelets for the two types of machine are not interchangeable - as far as I can see the only difference is that the neck of the Atwells eyelets is slightly deeper than the other type. I've not dared mix them up yet; has anyone else?

Comment

Hi Jackie
              I only use the Atwell eyelet with my machine,where do you get the other eyelet from. I also got the measuring guide with my machine and it is a great help to place the eyelets acurately across the top.
              Jan

Design & Curtain Studio

Comment

Hi Jan,

I think I'm right in saying (and someone will soon tell you if I'm not!) that Merrick & Day sell the Atwell eyelets and Jones sell another type which are compatible with their machine. The rep from Price & Co told me that the Regency eyelets are also compatible with the Jones machine. I'm struggling to see what the great difference is - the diameter is the same, it's only the 'shank' which is slightly different in depth. The nice man from Atwells said that discounts were only available on 2000+ eyelets at a time, so I'll be getting mine from M&D!

Another trick which I learnt with the last set of curtains I made was to cut a template from buckram which has 8 (or 12, 16, 20 - whatever the number of widths and eyelets you have) using the jig, which you can then use to find the place where the first eyelet in should go - you'll be able to see very easily what the 'remainder' is at either end and centre it up. It saves time when there are quite a few curtains the same width and I think it's better than working out with a calculator how to divide the whole thing up and then mark it with pins ... hope you understand what I mean!

Have fun,
                Jackie

Comment

Personally I do not use the jig to measure out along a width, I find this isn't accurate enough - Take a look at Eyelets-R-US, they have a great space calculator. Find the middle point of the lower die and mark it on the back of the jig as shown here. I then use a pin and match the pin with the middle point and press the eyelet - This is much more accurate, especially if you work from the middle and use a sew-in buckram.

Philip
                  Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi Guys,

I'm also taking the plunge and getting an eyelet machine!! which machine have you bought from atwells, as they seem to have loads, and is it cheaper than buying from Merrick and day?

thanks in advance for your help,

sukhi x
                    Sukhi
                    Butterfly Interiors
                    Sue Rhodes Interiors

Comment

Thanks Philip, i have been using the calculator from Eyelet-R-Us to space the eyelets out, which i found very helpful, i like the idea of marking the cutting dye, i have a pair to make in 2 weeks time and will certainly use this method and see how it goes.

Sophie, the machine i got from Atwells was the HP1000 Eyelet Press & Toolage, not sure of the price of it at Merrick & Day.

Jackie, thanks for the information on the eyelets, i will price Merrick and Day to see if i can get them cheaper as i have to pay £15 for carriage when i get them from Atwells on top of paying for the eyelets!!!
                      Jan

Design & Curtain Studio

Comment

Hi all
                        I don't, as yet, have an eyelet press - never had the demand. However, just yesterday saw a client who wants 3 pairs of 3m wide eyelet curtains!! Has anyone had any experience or know of anyone who offers an eyeletting service? Will it be too expensive to do it that way or should I just invest in an eyelet press?
                        Penny

Comment

These people both offer eyeletting services - perhaps getting a quote would help make up your mind on the costs of buying a press?

Curtain Eyelets
                          Eyelets R Us
                          Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

This is something we can cover at the gathering. Inserting eyelets and working out the spacings.
                            Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Hello contributors!

Many thanks for the replies to my eyelet press question. Your tips have been really useful. At this point in time, I am only a competent amateur curtain maker and have no commercial experience or contacts as yet, but by internet research only, I had decided that Atwells and Merrick & Day seem to be the two key players. Both of their machines appear to be very similar and both are single action - in fact I wonder if in reality Atwells engineeer/manufacture and supply Merrick & Day's stuff. Anyone know??

I particularly liked the tip about producing a template for the holes to align across the fabric width. I am having trouble accessing Eyelets R Us but will investigate the calculator when I can get to them.

I was delighted to hear everyone seems to be enthusiastic about the press. However, no-one has answered my underlying fear!! Do the eylets ever 'mis-press' or IS it down to what the nice man at Atwells told me, ie, you must just make sure the machine is securely anchored down?

And finally, Penny at Penton Drapes, what is 'the gathering' you speak about?

Peggy

Comment

Working...
                              X