Attaching scroll gimp braid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attaching scroll gimp braid

Could someone please advise me of the best way to machine this type of braid to fabric? The braid I have is similar to the one shown in the link below

http://www.curtain-corner.com/acatalog/1_chiswick.html

Re: Attaching scroll gimp braid

I always handsew this type of thing, but I'd imagine a carefully matched thread, and a longer than usual stitch might do it.

I'll be very interested to see what others do.

Comment

Thanks nic. If handstitching where would you stitch?

Would you only use one row of machine stitching running along the centre of the braid or would it be attached along both edges at the loops?

Comment

Hello Sewingbelle.

This is really an uphostery braid rather than a curtain edging braid. The word gimp (I think) refers to the name of the small pins used to tack the gimp braid to the edges of chairs, stools, hard pelmets etc. Usually a thin bead of glue is applied to the piece of work then gimp pins in the same colour as the particular braid are used to tack it securely into place. This is perhaps the reason why it isn't immediately obvious how to attach it to curtains. Have you thought of using a quality fabric glue, the trim fix from M & D or simply stab stitching at intervals?

Please let us know how you tackle it for future reference?

Comment

Thanks Rosie, I hadn't thought of it being an upholstery braid secured with pins I'm actually using it on small rectangular cushions to conceal a seam of approximately 11" where I have joined two pieces of left over fabric from the eyelet curtains I previously made, sounds awful but it actually looks okay. My friend had bought the braid herself, apparently she had been going to use it on lampshades then decided it could be used on the cushions

I will potter around with it and see which stitch and method looks best, will give an update once I find a solution, if I find a solution

Oh, I just remembered she had also been going to tack some around a piece of leather on the top of a wooden cutlery box, almost like a table.

Comment

Try Gutterman glue! Good luck.

Comment

Indeed, Rosie, gimp pins to attach gimp braid. Which is first, the pin or the braid is like the chicken and the egg. Was the braid called gimp because it was attached with gimp pins, or were the pins called gimp pins because they were used to attach gimp braid? I just know I'm going to waste a lot of time tomorrow with OED and Chambers, finding out.

Actually, the last thing I attached gimp braid to was the pseudo Lloyd loom chair and ottoman in my bedroom, and I did it with gimp pins, but there is no reason not to use it wherever you choose. Sewing by hand, catch just inside the outer loops, by machine, down the middle, I'd think, but for 11 inches, I'd hand sew, but it would be really interesting to see how people who've used it as a leading edge treatment, or on pelmets, have done it. I'm not a fan of glue and fabric, but that's just me.

Comment

If its intended purpose is for curtains and cushions, I tend to do a running stab stitch down the centre of the braid makng small stitches every 1 - 1.5cm as I go. This way the thread stitch isnt obvious. The small runnng stitch is below all the layers and the gimp/braid is firmly attached , stitches running down the centre of the braid to the face fabric. I attach it along the leading edge or seam of a cushion before moving onto the rest of the curtain /cushion construction ie. along a seam of a contrast leading edge of a curtain just after i have joined the sections.

I only tend to hand sew gimp or braid as sometimes I have found if I am running it through a machine the tension tightens and distorts the face fabric slightly. Over a longer length its more obvious, but on a cushion , not so bad.

Thats the way I tend to apply it, I might be wrong in my method, but its the way I do it currently! Given the superb advise here on the forum , that could change any day !!!

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Looks like this braid is sent to test us I'll be attaching it later today so will let you know how I get on.

Comment

Sorry forgot to come back to this post

I cut the braids slightly longer than the lengths I needed then gently stretched them prior to attaching to the fabric to avoid them pulling when attached to fabric. To attach them I followed the line of the pattern when stitching so no need to pin. Attached the braid using the sewing machine by one line of stitching set on a straight stitch at longest length No4 (domestic machine) in the middle of the braid. They turned out fine with no pulling. I selected a thread closest to the colour of the centre run of stitching in the braid therefore it is very difficult to see the stitch line even when it crosses the scroll on the braid, probably only one stitch at that point. I am happy with the result and would use the same method again.

Comment

Working...
                    X