Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small samples of work

Hi
    Does anyone make up small samples of their work to show clients with different headings triple ,eyelet etc ?
    if so what kind of size would you make them ? or am i waiting my time and just show pictures
    not done any sewing for months may have a bit more time in September after school hols and want to get organized
    also Phillip has inspired me to do some lampshades ! I did a soft furnishing city and guilds which included a soft and firm lampshade about 10 years ago not tried one since
    loving the forum
    LSS

Re: small samples of work

Hi There.

In a word No!
    Most people are far more clued up these days as to what they wan't, with access to magazines and show samples in interior
    design shops. Laura Ashley, John Lewis and the like.

If you made samples the clients may just notice the material and not the headings. I've shown people samples of headings made from 1metre lengths. Made no difference whatsoever.

I would stick to pictures but then I am not a professional I practise Reflexology and Bowen Therapy as well as sew.

Eileen.

Comment

Yes i agree with Eileen, people will have a good idea what they want. What i did was put my own folder togather with the different headings, so its easier to explain to clients if they are looking for ideas from you. From time to time when im browsing through magazines if i spot something different i would cut it out and put it in my folder for future reference.

Janette
      Jan

Design & Curtain Studio

Comment

Hello

I have got samples showing different headings and and types of blinds, while I agree that most people do have an idea of the type of heading they want, what I have found useful is using samples to illustrate the difference between curtains with interlining and without. This more often than not helps to sell the benefit of interlining to the client.

Regards
        Andrea
        Regards

Andrea

Comment

I also have some small curtain samples which I've used to show clients different heading options (especially to show the difference between pencil & pinch pleat!) and a small roman blind sample. They don't come out often, but they have proven useful at times
          Jane

Comment

Many thanks for all your prompt replies
            lss

Comment

I agree that sometimes people just notice the fabric in a sample (which isn't a bad thing if you sell the fabric as well), but I also find samples great for upselling. My samples, about one metre long, have pleated edges, cords, trims, buttons, attached valances, microcording, in fact anything and everything! They are all interlined, except for one plain lined sample just with pencil pleat tape. They also show the quality of the linings used and of course the work.

I don't show them often, because lots of people do know what they want, but when I do, I do get a better job, more interesting for both me and the client.

The other time I show them is when a client is unsure of the terminology, e.g. triple pleats, just so that we know we're talking about the same thing. And then, I will often get the additional sale of the interlining that they hadn't known about.

If you don't sell fabrics, there is no reason not to make some small samples in a plain fabric.
              Kind regards
              Pen Harrison
              Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

I agree. I've found samples to be useful at times too. You could make the samples all in the same fabric and colour ( neutral shade ), I used silk or you could use faux. Clients can then see the difference interlining makes. A lot of the time, clients know what there looking for but for those who don't I think it really helps.

Cat C.
                Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Hi there,
                  I agree, samples are a good idea, you only have to make them once, but its handy to have them in you bag to show the difference between the various headings and linings/interlinings etc, plus they see that you can sew if they havent used you before.
                  Regards Helen

Comment

I believe that samples are a good idea for up-selling.

The size should be large enough to show the pleats, details, interlinings but small enough for the customer to manage. I like to call this "pet the kitty" which means you have the customer hold the sample in their lap and admire it, handle it and pet it.

Neutral colors are a must. Many customers can't see past the print or color if it is too bold.

Regards,
                    Susan
                    Susan Woodcock
                    Owner, HomeDecGal.com
                    Charlotte, NC
                    USA

Comment

Working...
                    X