Joining Cord?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining Cord?

Hi, I've been asked to make a king size quilt from two singles and I'm having a problem joining cord edges together neatly. Does anyone know of any other neater way of doing it apart from sellotape?

Cat C.
    Kind regards

Cat

Re: Joining Cord?

Hi there. I was wondering which cord you were joining? I can't really see that sellotape would be very much use if you are going to be washing the item.

Can you give a few more details?
    I'd rather be sewing!

Comment

Hi , It's a lightweight silky cord which runs the whole length of the covers. As I'm now joining them as one king size I'm looking for a way to join the piping together ( edge to edge ) You are right sellotape will not work as the cover is washable plus it would just look messy. There are some areas of the quilt where I've been able to join inside a curved seam but there is one point where I will have to butt two pieces together.

Hope this makes sense,

Cat C.
      Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Bind them, with the end of the binding going neatly into the seam.

Cut a small piece of similar weight fabric, turn under the edges on the long sides. encase the ends of the cord ( lashed together,) and tuck the ends into a bit of seam you've opened in the right place. You'll have to top stitch it to make it secure enough for laundering, but that can be done neatly enough.

Can't think of another way, but I'm sure someone will have a better idea.

Comment

Hi there

There is an excellent tutorial on YouTube but I don't have the link handy. Personally, I would unravel an inch of the cord at each end and re-twist it together, before re-covering with the piping material and sewing back into the seam. I think for this job you need plenty of patience as ready made bedding is not always cut perfectly.

Good Luck, Jessie
          I'd rather be sewing!

Comment

Thank you for the replies, Had a look on youtube but couldn't seem to find the right one but have managed to join the two centre pieces and it looks fine. Must try and find a better way 'tho for next time.

Cat C.
            Kind regards

Cat

Comment

I found this clip which may be helpful. It would look very neat on a quilt cover.

[youtube:tpemtt41]0ZESVL1Fmiw[/youtube:tpemtt41]

Regards, Jessie
              I'd rather be sewing!

Comment

When you say cord, do you mean a piping cord, or a decorative cord made of three (or more strands) twisted together? If the latter, there is a method, difficult to explain in writing.

stitch the cord on, leaving a gap of around 5cm and two ends. Undo the seam about 10cm. Untwist one end of the cord and poke it into the opened seam, so that the strands lay flat. Undo the other end, one strand at a time, and tuck the ends into the seam, until the strands each side lay next to each other. You should be able to stitch the seam, with the strands, and from the outside the cord will appear seamless. There will be a bit of a bump of course, because of the thickness, but this is the way to do it.

There are instructions in Maureen Whitemore's Home Furnishings Workbook, pages 78-9. This is for flanged cord, but it's similar for unflanged cord.
                Kind regards
                Pen Harrison
                Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Jessie, Thanks for posting the you tube video have used this method before when joining piping cord. I should have explained that it's flanged cord I'm using so joining seamlessly has been more tricky.

Cat C.
                  Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Thank you Pen. I think this is what I've been looking for. I'm using a decorative flanged cord and I will have a practice at using this method.

Thanks again, Cat C.
                    Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Yes, Cat, it does take practise! But just undo one strand at a time until the strands lay together seamlessly. And keep it straight :P
                      Kind regards
                      Pen Harrison
                      Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Working...
                      X