Roller to Roman?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roller to Roman?

My great friend has had a new hand painted kitchen, colours chosen to match existing roller blind which she loves.
    The window had to be moved and a new one made and yes you've guessed it, the blind isn't quite wide enough. The blind is made with a J Churchill fabric now discontinued, and was laminated. I am wondering if I can add contrast borders to the sides and bottom, what does anyone think? The fabric is obviously stiffened and if I remove the narrow side hem and only line it I think it would probably work.
    If any of you have tried this or have any views I would be grateful as I don't want to do all that work if it's not going to be sucessful
    Many thanks
    Janie

Re: Roller to Roman?

If it were my kitchen I'd go for a completely new blind, but it depends on how old the roller is and its condition. I think new fabric added to 'old' fabric may show the original fabric up, and not being laminated, would be a different texture and feel.

Others here may know, but I don't know how easy it would be to sew laminated fabric. I'd want a brand new blind in a new kitchen, personally.

Angie

Comment

Does it have to be a roman?

You can probably stitch through the laminated fabric with the right needle, but I would be concerned that it would not fold crisply enough for a roman. Would your friend consider a reefed blind which rolls from the bottom up? Then you could add double-sided contrast side borders to create the required width.

I have instructions on making reefed blinds - PM me if you like me to email them.
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

If it's a roller, it won't roll up properly if you have seams.

And I think it would be too stiff as a roman. Go for new fabric!
        Kind regards
        Pen Harrison
        Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Working...
        X