dressing interlined curtains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dressing interlined curtains

Hello people. Wonder if anyone has any advice for me. I've recently made a pair of curtains in a lightweight fabric and therefore for the first time ever I have used interlining. My problem is, now I've hung them, i'm having terrible trouble 'dressing' them. no matter how hard I try, or how long I leave them 'dressed', the pleats are not taking. I'm not expecting sharp pleats obviously, as I know the interlining stops this, but I'd rather not having the bottoms sticking out like a ballgown either, lol.

Anything I can do here?

All assistance is greatfully received.
    Chris

Re: dressing interlined curtains

Hi Flooz

This problem could be caused by having to much thickness is the hems, or by your hems rolling and not laying flat. Can you described how you contructed the hem fold and does was your hem ironed in nice and flat?

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thanks for responding Philip. I think you may have hit the nail on the head there (although I'm not entirely sure). The hem on the front fabric is nice and flat - a standard 3" hem. But here's the possible problem. I cheated and used the lining with interlining already attached. Although when I did my standard 2" hem on this, I did remove all the excess interlining to avoid unnecessary bulk. Do you think this would be the problem?

Although i've done an HND course in Art and Design Soft Furnishings - the course concentrated so much on the design of things, we didn't cover too much in 'problem solving', if you know what I mean. So although I think i've got a really good knowledge of constructing stuff - when I come to a problem, I don't know what causes is, or how to avoid it for the future.
      Chris

Comment

Hi Flooz,

Don't say cheating. Most things have their place, it's just finding the right one! Did you do a double or single hem on the lining? When I used the bonded lining at the request of the customer, I did not do a double hem on the lining as it was much too fat. Fortunately it does not fray. I have never used this lining again for curtains as I personally don't feel it gives the same drape as a separate interlining. But remember, this is only my view. I also think the success/or not of using bonded lining depends a great deal on the 'stiffness' of the lining. I know the one I used was rather stiff but perhaps a softer product would have draped better.

For information, Laura Ashley ONLY use bonded lining now. So, if you ask them to make interlined curtains, this is what you get - for more than the cost that most curtain makers charge for using a separate interlining, whether bump or sarille (sp).

Remember, there are many roads to Rome and you will probably travel a few before you find the techniques that suit your market area and you!

Comment

Have you folded this lining into the hems like you would a bump? Certainly as Jules has said, single hem only if using this lining.. also suggested pulling the interlining away from the lining and cutting out the bulk.. If all else fails; cut a straight line to the finished length required and bind it with an attractive binding and turn it into a feature.

The sides should be placed close to the side fold line, and then the main fabric should be folded over the two fold lining and slip stitched down the sides, this way the curtain won't be fighting against the two fold lining.

Hope that helps...

Philip
          Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thanks for all your help. Although I did a double hem on the lining - I did take away all the excess bump so the hem wasn't too 'fat'. It might just be the vast difference in fabric weights - the facing fabric being a very light silk type acetate. I'm working on a very tight budget at the moment, so the fabric was chosen on price. I think i'll just put this one down to experience.

But don't get me started on Laura Ashley - having seen their roman blinds............ with stitching right through the top fabric at EVERY pocket............ And they charge the earth for them!!!
            Chris

Comment

Were these curtains for you, Flooz, or for a client?

Comment

These are for me. I don't make professionally, although that was my original intention when I went to college. Instead, I ended up being a publican - and i'm trying to make the living accommodation nice, but as it's a leasehold pub, i'm loath to spend too much money on it.
                Chris

Comment

Hi Flooz,

My only reason for asking is that, if they're yours, you could perhaps whip them down one day and redo the hem. Just undo stitching, cut it off at 2" and whiz along on the machine. You could even back stitch by hand while they're still hanging if you find it less hassle. I've done it over the ironing board with them still on the rail before now, if they've been for me. Once you've lost that extra fabric created by the double hem, the linings should not be so stiff and unforgiving. I know it's a pain to undo things when you thought you were finished, but I bet you'll always notice them.

Don't ever be kidded that just because fabric is expensive, it's got to be better. Often it's how you make and dress curtains that makes all the difference!

A publican? That really is hard work!

p.s. Don't tell anyone about my ironing board antics! They will think I even sit on my worktable if I'm not careful....

Comment

Thanks Jules. I think i can live with them. As the publican lifestyle, i don't get to spend much time in the flat to look at them, lol.

Oh and don't worry, i won't tell anyone about your antics
                    Chris

Comment

Thanks Flooz, mum's the word!

Comment

Working...
                      X