Hand Stitched Braid??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand Stitched Braid??

I have just spent 3 hours hand stitching a double band of braid down the leading edge of a pair of curtains. I hate it when fabric puckers and will even hand stich voiles to avoid this. I thought I was very clever by attaching it first with double sided sticky tape, until I started to sew!!! the result was a very sticky needle and very sore fingers. I have been in business for 9 years and never had to do this before so I have learned a very good lesson - don't put the tape on the stitching line.
    I have 5 roman blinds to edge in the same way, and hopefully will do a better job.
    Are there any other ways of keeping the braid in place whilst sewing and should I just have machined it??

Julie
    Julie

Re: Hand Stitched Braid??

I prefer braid on curtains or blinds machine sewn (obviously in the early stages). IMO it gives a more permanent finish.
    Puckering can normally be sorted out by a combination of foot pressure, cotton tension, and the tension of the work as it is fed through the machine.

Phil.

Comment

Re: Hand Stitched Braid??

Hi Julie,
      If I'm hand sewing braid on, I just hold it in place as I go, and don't pin it first.
      Kind regards
      Pen Harrison
      Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Working...
      X