Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bias cut piping - is it really necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bias cut piping - is it really necessary?

Hello folks

I read a lot about how essential it is to cut bias strips of fabric to pipe a cushion, however, if you don't have enough fabric to do that and just cut and cover straight strips, would it work just as well, if a little awkward easing it around corners?

Many thanks

MaryJo

Re: Bias cut piping - is it really necessary?

You've got it!

Bias cut will not allow you to match a pattern if you are making box cushions, though it does flow more smoothly round the corners.

Sometimes you just have to 'cut your piping according to your cloth'.

Comment

Mary Jo,
      Bias cut piping will definitely be easier to apply and will look better on your cushion than straight cut strips. If you dont have enough fabric to cut strips on a 45 degree angle, a less acute angle will still be better than straight, so see if you can get enough cut out on a less acute angle. I would still cut the ends at 45 degrees for joining.
      Kind regards
      Pen Harrison
      Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

If you have the fabric always use bias if possible, otherwise you can cut at a less acute angle if you are short of fabric. Even cutting a few degrees above horizontal will give a little bit of stretch which will make all the difference. Cut right on the horizontal the fabric has no give at all and may go lumpy and pull at the face fabric. It is also much harder to get a neat corner.
        Julie
        Julie

Comment

Many thanks for your replies. I shall try the bias cut method using some spare fabric to see if I can get the hang of it. In my limited experience, getting a neat corner on cushions has been a nightmare unless I have used commercial corded piping with a flange on, but sometimes, you want same fabric piping. I'll try this and post again with results (in a couple of weeks or so as the kitchen is being wrecked and replaced...ughhh!)

Thank you, all.

MaryJo

Comment

Working...
          X