curtain heading behind pelmet/valance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• curtain heading behind pelmet/valance

Having seen many photos of the beautiful window treatments created by the people in here, i've always notice how beautifully the curtain hang. Which leads me to the question. If you have a top treatment like a pelmet or valance, do you still do hand made headings on the curtains? Or use tape?

I can't help but think you must still do hand made headings, looking at how beautifully the curtains fall into folds.

I've only ever used pinch pleat tape if I've got a pelmet or something hiding the top, and no matter how well I 'dress' the curtains, they don't hang as beautiful as those I've seen.

So, I just wondered......
    Chris

Re: curtain heading behind pelmet/valance

Dear Flooz. I do not use pencil tape for this purpose. I make the curtains as normal and do not form the pleat. Sew the pleat channel and concertina up, dress as usual.

Roger Banks-Pye suggests in his Colefax and Fowler book.

'The first thing to do when you have hung curtains is to walk away from the window, holding up the hems. Then let the curtain fall back naturally. Never force the fabric into corrugated folds.'

Eileen.

Comment

I always use hand made pinch pleat - either triple or double as they hang so much better and are also so much easier and quicker to dress. Pencil headings are quite difficult to dress into even folds and I only do them if a customer wants a cheaper option, but I point out that they won't hang quite as well.
      Well worth the extra work in my view
      Janie

Comment

I have to disagree here - I always use pencil pleat tape for curtains hidden under a pelmet or valance and have never had a problem - My sitting room curtains at home have a pencil pleat tape and they are used daily, opened and closed and they fall perfectly back in to place. If they are dressed correctly in the first instance then there shouldn't be a problem. Personally I wouldn't hand finish the headings of a clients curtains unless they paid me to do so. Pencil pleat tape doesn't dress so well on a pole, but tracks are perfect for it.

Philip
        Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

I have to agree with Philip. Unless a client specifically asks for hand pleated curtains under a valance or pelmet, then I would use pencil pleat tape. Careful placement of the hooks and dressing looks just as good in my opinion. I guess its just down to personal choice at the end of the day...

Sue.

Comment

How far apart do you set your hooks to get the desired 'hand pleated' effect, please?

Comment

Hi
              I would use pinch pleat as it always hangs much better than tape
              Cheers
              Clark

Comment

So, you would always go with hand made over tape?

Comment

I would always use good quality, pencil pleat tape, I have never had a problem, as long as they are dressed properly after they are hung. Beautiful pinch pleats take time to make, and therefore should be seen, unless, the client requests them, then of course the price changes.....
                  Helen

Comment

I dont think you have to see the top of pinch pleats to appreciate them
                    They allow the curtains to drape alot better than pencil tape, even if you dress tape out "properly" as soon as the client pulls them once they tend to go all over the place. I know this depends on the fabric but personally I prefer the pinch pleat under pelmets etc
                    Just make sure you charge them for pinch pleat.
                    Cheers
                    Clark

Comment

Hello Clark,

This would be the best way to pleat by pattern too, wouldn't it?

Comment

Hi Rosie
                        I think so
                        As well as the look of the curtains, one of the reasons we put pinch pleats under valance setc is the time it saves on site with fitting/hanging etc.
                        Personally, I find it a pain in the rear pulling up tape headed curtains, along with stringing roman blinds, one of the most boring jobs I do.
                        If you are doing a job with 4 windows say, i reckon it would save you 1/2 to 3/4 an hour on site which works for me.
                        I dont know how many people on here do their own fitting but from my point of view saving this time on site is priceless
                        Cheers
                        Clark

Comment

I agree with Clark re time on site - in, hang and out! (not forgetting the cheque on the way :P )
                          Kind regards
                          Pen Harrison
                          Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Or cash if its a good day

Comment

OK. All points noted. I think (as this is for me, and time is a premium at the moment) I shall stick with using the pencil pleat tape. These particular curtains only get drawn on occasion, so once dressed, they will have plenty of time to 'fix' into their pleats. I do think, listening to everyone etc, that if I was using a particularly well designed pattern or expensive fabric, I would do pinch pleats, so I can highlight the part of the pattern I was using.

All these questions and answers that I have, have made me realise that I definitely did the wrong course at college, and I want to go back. But with government funding for adult education pratically depleted, I guess it'll have to wait.
                              Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X