Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• duvet covers

hello everyone,
    I have four duvet covers to make and have no idea where to start from.
    is there anyone who knows how to do it from start to finish? Is there any video? pls.

thanking you

best regards
    maria.

Re: duvet covers

Hi Maria,
    these are notes from my handouts:

Duvet covers are normally made for purchased duvets, and therefore are standard sizes. Otherwise measure the duvet you are going to use.

100cm x 120cm for a cot 200cm x 200cm for a double
    140cm x 200cm for a single 230cm x 230cm for a king size

The openings normally allowed are as follows: cot - 60cm, single - 100cm, double - 140cm and king size - 170cm.

The materials required are sheeting and snap fastener tape to the length of the opening above plus turnings. Sew-on snap fasteners could also be attached singly.

1. When cutting out allow 5cm for the base hem and 1.5cm for all other seam allowances (or 3cm if French seams are to be used).

2. From the fabric cut out two cover pieces including seam allowances. If fabric widths need to be joined, then make up with a central panel and two side panels with neatened or flat fell seams. Otherwise disguise the seams with false piping, frills, ribbons or tucks.

3. Fold a double 2.5cm hem along the bottom edge of both front and back for the opening edge. Pin, tack and stitch. Mark the centre of each hem edge.

4. Tack one half of the fastener tape centrally to the right side of the front duvet piece along one hemmed edge. Tack the second half to the right side of the back duvet piece along the hemmed edge, making sure that the fasteners match. Stitch in place.

5. Place the front and back pieces together, right sides facing. Fasten the tapes together. Pin and stitch alongside the hem line (2.5cm from the fold) from one side edge to just beyond the end of the tapes. Then continue at right angles towards the outer folded edges, catching down the end of the fastening tapes. Repeat on the opposite side. When finished, the hems will fold out of sight inside the duvet.

6. Stitch remaining three sides together with either French seams or straight seams that are then neatened with overlocking or zig zag stitch.

hope this is clear.
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Buttons work really well for the fastening too

Comment

Yes, they do. Make up the cover in the same way without the tape and add buttonholes and buttons.
        Kind regards
        Pen Harrison
        Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

hello everyone,
          I want to thank you for the help i really appreciate it.

best regards

maria

Comment

I made some duvet covers for a french lady and they use a different method of opening. Instead of the opening as we have it, they make the bottom corners as normal and then add a 'funnel' rectangular tube to the opening. This tube of fabric is about 60cm long. The duvet is then inserted as normal and the tube of fabric is tucked under the mattress. They also have a version on the side of the duvet so that the duvet does not come away from the side of the bed when you turn over.

Julie
            Julie

Comment

I have one like that. It is enormous with the extra funnel of fabric but does keep it in place much better. I think some hotel ones are made this way. Each side of mine is made in one piece but I don't see why you couldn't stitch the funnel on. They do take considerably more fabric.

Comment

I can't imagine this...photo please Rosie
                Regards
                Mairi

Comment

Working...
                X