Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I work out how much to charge

Hello

Well my first curtains are up and looking very nice - my daughter saw them and told a friend and she has asked me to make similar curtains, but how much do I charge? I can't charge by the hour because I am very slow (she doesn't want them until end April) and will be my first curtains to make for someone else other than family, I will supply the lining, heading tape and threads etc., she will buy her fabric. There are approx 2.25 widths per curtain with a pattern match and double pinch pleats. My initial instinct was not to charge labour as this is a learning curve, but she may want more curtains at a later date. assuming she is pleased with the 1st pair.

Help please.

JE

Re: How do I work out how much to charge

Hello - this one of the hardest bits of curtain making when you are starting out! I have emailed you some notes that should help......you could also pose as a potential customer and ask at a few local shops to see what they would charge in your area.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hi Joan,
      As Louise says, the best way is to find out how much your local suppliers charge and base your charges on that.
      Kind regards
      Pen Harrison
      Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but....when getting prices from other local suppliers, make sure you're comparing like with like.....for example, if you hand sew side seams / hems etc, make sure the prices you get are for the same.
        Jane

Comment

Of course, and also check if they include VAT.
          Kind regards
          Pen Harrison
          Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Many thanks for your e-mail Louise, it is a great help.

I will check local suppliers, I think this first job will be a huge learning curve for me as regards prices etc., but of course I don't want to shoot myself in the foot if she decides to use me for the other rooms by going in too cheap.

Regards

JE

Comment

Working...
            X