Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Storage window seat cushion with 2 cushions - what size to make them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storage window seat cushion with 2 cushions - what size to make them?

I need to make a recessed window seat cushion for a long seat. There is storage underneath accessible from 2 lids as shown in the photo, so I need to make 2 separate cushions. I am new to this and have no idea how much smaller / what size the foam pads need to be so that they fit comfortably on the seat and aren’t jammed into the space. The seat measures 2597cms from wall to wall, and is 60cm deep. The cushion covers will be piped. I would be so grateful for your advice on the following Please:
    1. What density / thickness foam I should use?
    2. What size should the 2 foam pads be cut to so that they fit comfortably next to each other in the space once covered?
    Thanking you in advance, Tracey

I source my foam from Anyfoam online - they cut to size (or to a template if an unusual shape) and would suggest firm foam for this type of application. I would also recommend a dacron wrapped pad to soften the look of the cover.
    I usually order the foam 2cm longer and wider than the finished cushion (and have it wrapped) so that the finished cushion looks smooth and rounded. In this case I would add maybe 1cm only to the length so that the two pads will sit next to each other without buckling, but still 2cm front to back.

Interested to hear what others would do......
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

• TraceyA
      TraceyA commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you very much, that’s helpful.

Tracey, I make a single seat pad, it saves time, but if your customer wants 2 then go with that. I use firm foam, minimum 50mm, ordered online cut exactly to the flat surface to be covered and use the dacron overlay. Other thicknesses I have used are up to 80mm thick as it depends on how much sitting the customer is going to do and if there's a window sill above it etc. Piping gives a nice neat edge, but not always around the back. If the total shape is symmetrical and allows it, I think to have the seat cushion to be able to flip over to even out wear is appreciated.
    Caroline

Comment

• TraceyA
      TraceyA commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you very much, and I agree that the single pad would be the better option.
Working...
X