How to use single sided fusible buckram in lined curtains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to use single sided fusible buckram in lined curtains

Hi everyone, I’m a novice to soft furnishings and am attempting to make my own eyelet curtains to the point where I can send them away to a professional to insert metal eyelets. (I have four sets of large curtains to do and am working on the first pair of curtains.)

1. I have measured and cut the fusible buckram to length allowing for it to be doubled over at either end within the fabric return on each edge of the curtain. Which way do I double it back? Do I fold over the buckram so that the glued side is on the inside of the fold, ie face to face so that it won’t stick to the curtain fabric or should I fold back the buckram so that it sticks to the main fabric? Hope that makes sense.

2. Secondly, in what order do I fold and stick the main and lining fabric? Am I right on the following: Buckram inbetween the top of the main fabric and the lining with the Fusible side face up towards the lining. Fold over the main fabric over the top of the buckram by 6 cms. Iron. Then lay the lining over the remainder of the bare buckram and the main fabric. Iron. Hand Stitch the top of the lining that is sitting on top of the main fabric (ie isn’t glued down) near to the top of the curtain to finish off.

I’m using 5” buckram and have made up the steps above based on rough instructions I have gleaned elsewhere. Any guidance or improvement on the above much appreciated. I have found old links on this site to supposed instructions/photos, but these links are no longer working.

Thanks, Claire

Hi Claire - welcome to the forum. Sorry you've found some broken links, a while ago we moved the whole forum to a new server and unfortunately some of the older posts did not survive the migration intact.

For future reference, you are better off using eyelet buckram which is sightly softer than curtain heading buckram which can blunt the eyelet press cutters if used all the time. Most of the soft furnishing suppliers sell it in fusible or sew-in versions.

I would hesitate to double over the buckram too far at the edges - you don't want it to encroach into the area of the first eyelet which would make it hard to cut. I would bond the adhesive sides to each other. This is more common on hand pleated headings than eyelet.

If possible, have enough fabric at the top of the curtain panel to completely cover the buckram, then bring the lining up over it and turn the top of the lining under and hand sew in place. If you don't have enough face fabric to do this, you could iron strips of lining on to the rest of the buckram before bringing up the lining as before.

Alternatively, if the face fabric is not really thick, some people leave enough surplus fabric at the top to cover the buckram then turn under the bottom edge to completely enclose the buckram. Then the lining is cut to the finished drop and the 'wrapped' buckram layer laid on top. This is sometimes referred to as a cuffed top/heading.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Thank you Louise, that is so helpful and very clear to understand. I didn’t know that you could get buckram specifically for eyelets, and the stuff I bought is very stiff which makes me think it isn’t the right type. I can now finish preparing my curtains - a big thank you

Comment

I've just looked online and eyelet buckram is not easy to find from the standard retail suppliers, but most trade suppliers like Hallis Hudson, Jones and Evans Textiles sell it. If you don't have a trade account anywhere then do ask here as one of the members would be happy to sell you what you need if you don't want a whole roll. It is probably available on Ebay too.

Just to be clear, this is a wide strip of soft buckram in a roll - not the type with holes already punched in it which is used for plastic snap-on eyelets like Jupiter rings. If you ever do dress making, it is more like firm interfacing for collars etc. than stiff cotton curtain buckram.
        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hi Louise, the buckram I bought is from amazon as detailed below. It’s 100% cotton but feels quite stiff. I don’t have a trade account so would be very appreciative if I could buy 16m of 5” eyelet buckram (without pre-punched holes) from someone. Where on this site would be the best place to post this request. Thanks

Comment

That is standard curtain headig buckram, great for pinch pleats etc. but not ideal for eyelets (even though sellers list it for that!)
            I have some eyelet buckram I would happily sell you at cost - I'll send you a private message.

If there is anything you want to ask about in the future then there is a 'Wanted' section further down the main forum page........
            Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Working...
            X