Triangular panel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triangular panel

I've been asked to create a triangular panel to hang for the winter in a small apex window approx 2.5 mtrs off the floor. The idea is to filter the strong winter sun and it's in an office , but the customer doesn't want verticals. His idea is a piece of fabric just hooked up. I've no problem with having an eyelet to hook up at the apex and I suggested velcro to hold the bottom taut, but then I thought of just a casing with a weight bar ( like a roman.) BUT would it work? Will a weight bar be sufficient to hold a triangle of possibly sheer fabric flat? The piece of fabric will be 7cms bigger than the frame of the window all round. The weight bar will sit on a lintel. I'm thinking of double turned hems for the diagonal sides and possibly stiffening them too.
    Anyone made anything like this before?
    Caroline
    Not to scale.

Hi Caroline

Your idea sounds workable.- the weight bar at the bottom of the panel will ensure that it hangs level. I'm not sure about stiffening the side seam- that would make it more difficult to fold the panel for storage if it is to be taken down in the summer. Perhaps you could put some velcro strips down the sides to hold them against the wall if necessary.

Best wishes
    Liz

Comment

Could you make narrow channels on the sides to slip roman rods into - if you left them open at the top they could be taken out to fold the panel away.

I would worry that with just the central fixing at the top the angled sides might look a little saggy with no stiffening or tension to them.
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Thank you Liz and Louise, both good ideas! I have a preference for not using velcro on the sides as when the panel is removed the velcro stuck on the walls will be seen. But I think the way to go is to do double turned hems open at the bottom so after the panel is hanging rods can then be slipped into the narrow casing ( which is what a hem is basically). a press stud at the opening would stop the rods form slipping out. A photo of the completed item will be posted!
        Caroline

Comment

Look forward to seeing the finished result Caroline. I'm sure your solution will work well.

Best wishes
          Liz

Comment

I had to do a treatment for a triangular window in a bedroom so it does need to be in use all the time. We decided to do two panels which could be rolled up and held there with ties. The panels are attached to battens with velcro at the sides but no bottom bar or other weighting. Could be an alternative option to taking your single panel down completely as it does roll away to the sides neatly. Diana

Comment

Diana, that's an ingenious idea! I would like to keep the photos and method for another time. This idea is perfect for a window where one can get to, mine is 2.5 mtrs up in a gable end wall. Would you believe in an architect's office!!!
              Caroline

Comment

Yes 2.5 metres up will be a problem. Serves them right if they designed it themselves - it might make them think about the practicalities window treatments in future though! Diana

Comment

Working...
                X