Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40mm Eyelets

Hi everyone
    Can somebody please tell what is the max diameter pole you can use with 40mm eyelets and why you can't go any bigger.

Many thanks
    Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Re: 40mm Eyelets

Hi Penny,

I always opt for a 35mm pole as a max on a 40mm eyelet . Otherwise, anything above 35mm - 60mm pole you will need to use a 66mm eyelet . The curtain wont function if the pole is too big in diameter

I have a curtain going on a 35mm pole next week,the eyelets are 40mm so I will give some feed back on how it functions, but I cant see a problem. I personally find a 28mm the perfect size for a 40mm eyelet

Comment

That is good to hear Tam thank you.
      My problem is I have fitted some 40mm eyelets this week on a 2.10mts 35mm pole and there are three widths..
      The customer is complaining that the curtains don't meet in the middle? My fitter and I are not able to look at this till Monday evening and I wondered if it would be a good idea to have some 28mm poles in the back of the car just in case..
      My fitter seems to think that a large dose of silicone along the pole will help. The customer is saying she thinks it is the brackets.
      Any suggestions anyone?
      Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Does the pole have a centre bracket? If so that is what is preventing the curtains meeting fully in the middle.

This came up on Alternative Windows a while back and there was quite a discussion. One solution suggested was to alter the top corners of the leading edges to clear the bracket.

"Have you thought about trimming a triangle of fabric from the top corners on the leading edges so that they allow the curtains to meet in the centre. The triangle should be calculated so that the fabric falls around the centre bracket. It may be worth pinning the fabric before cutting to get the correct effect.
        Although I have never tried this it seems logical that it could solve your problem and wouldn't look unsightly when the curtains are open."

If you want to see the various discussions, search the AW forum using 'eyelet and bracket', 4 different topics come up.
        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Having done some experimenting this morning it would seem that a 35mm pole is too big for 40mm eyelets. Although they slide on the the pole ok when verticle,when you then pull the eyelets along the pole they tilt at an angle which then restricts the movement of them on the pole and they become stuck. This is an expensive lesson for me as I now have to change the poles to 30mm.
          Just thought you would all like to know any future jobs you have.
          Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Thanks for the info Louise. It is very helpful, so I don't know if it is the bracket now as you suggest or if it the eyelets..........
            I am making a visit to the customer this afternoon. Will keep you all informed.
            Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Oh no Please let mine be ok! Its not a wide curtain and the client has specified that she will only occasionally pull the single patio door curtain.

Fingers crossed .

Penny thanks for the feedback , I hope replacing the 35mm with 28mm does not cause too much stress. ( says she, whos heart is in her mouth presently!)

Comment

No need to panic Tam. The 40mm eyelets work fine on the 35mm pole. (If a little snug) I would suggest you get your fitter to make sure he has put a nice layer of silicone on to it to help them run a bit smoother. I think in future I will suggest 30/28mm poles for wood with eyelets tho.
                But Louise was right about the problem with the centre bracket. I have suggested that we remove it so the curtains can draw together properly.
                My panic is now over and it is the weekend and I think I have just finished for christmas. Hooray!!!
                I only have two fittings next week. So I can start my christmas shopping now.
                Looking forward to a very large glass of wine tonight it has been a very long week...
                Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Thanks Penny, much appreciated. Thankfully its is a 35mm Metal galleria pole from Hallis Hudson so with silicone spray , lots of hope and a whistle they should be ok ( my heart is still in mouth )

Nice pole BTW, bronze effect with bronze eyelets !

Comment

Just a quick update on my little problem. I went back with my fitter today to remove the centre bracket and just as we were setting up the ladders to remove the bracket in the study, the husband appeared and had decided that actually he didn't have a problem with the curtains not meeting in the middle at all......... its just that his wife did. I have attached a picture to illustrate the problem for anyone in the future fitting eyelet curtains.

[attachment=0:2z2c4w19]009small.jpg[/attachment:2z2c4w19]
                    Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

So the hustand waits until you and the fitter are at the house before he decides to tell you he dosnt have a problem
                      Removing the centre bracket itsnt always an option so maybe its one of those pieces of info we need to make our clients aware of if they have a pole with a centre bracket, as well as telling them of the joins.... Im going to have to make a list i think to make sure i remember....
                      glad its sorted for you Penny.
                      Sharon

Comment

Hello Penny,

The curtains look lovely by the way. And, now you have been able to leave the centre bracket in place, at least you have no worries that the weight of them might distort the pole in time. As Sharon says, a pity they had to wait until you and Mr Fitter were there to come to an agreement over the need to keep the centre bracket!!!

My list is getting longer, just like yours, Sharon!

Comment

Working...
                        X