Blind hemmer question.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blind hemmer question.....

I recently saw some pinch pleat curtains at a customer's house that I believe were made by JL. The lining was laid on the back of the face fabric in the way you would if you were going to sew them by hand, but they had been machined with 'invisible' thread using a stitch that did not show on the face of the curtain. I wondered if they had used a blind hemmer.

Would that work? (I do not currently own a blind hemmer otherwise I would probably understand if this were possible.........)
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Re: Blind hemmer question.....

Hello Louise,

I was at a Birthday and Pre-Christmas party on Saturday. The hostess and birthday-girl had interlined, double pleat curtains in one room. Not being able to resist a peek, I had to look at the side hems and bottom hems I think they had been made in exactly this way! I'm sure it was done with a blind hemmer as I can't think what else could have been used. I have to say it was neat if not hand-made.

Has anyone with a blind hemmer every made curtains this way?

Comment

The JL curtains were probably made by Premier Choice and I believe they will have a special machine a bit like a blind hemmer that is used to attach linings to the cloth at the side turnings. No sure what it is called but I can find out.
      I have tried this method with my blind hemmer and it is really difficult to achieve as you have to have the bulk of the cloth to the right which means that it has to fed thru the middle section of the machine and the cloth becomes all folded up together.
      Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Hello Penny,

Thank you for clearing that up......you can tell I don't own a blind hemmer then?

I would have happily looked at buying one after the neat job it did but the real machine is probably much more expensive than a blind hemmer..... however, I'd be interested to know what it is.

The amount of knowledge you all have here, never ceases to amaze me! Thank you Penny.

Comment

Yes, thanks for the info Penny. It was a neat finish on the curtains I saw too. I have seen the Premier Choice website, it must have been fascinating to visit their workshop.....interesting to see how various suppliers link up isn't it!

Glad to see I'm not the only one who looks at curtains when they are 'off duty'.........
          Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

The machine used to do this operation is called a Strobel machine.
            Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Just been catching up on missed posts then went searching for a picture of the above mentioned& found one at
              www.centralvalleyindustrialsewing.com/images
              Just incase anyone else was curious...
              Regards
              Mairi

Comment

Working...
              X