Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you all press your seams?

Morning
    I have just been inspecting some work that has been made for me and the maker did not press open her seams...
    Now I know that a lot of makers don't like to take an iron to their work but I always lighty press my seams open if not with an iron then with the edge of a metal ruler. The fabric in question was a Harlequin fabric Isis which is a velour with satin applique. I think I would have pressed lightly on back with another piece of the cloth underneath so it was kind of nap to nap if you get my drift.
    What does anyone else do or is this a really silly question and of course you all press your seams open?
    Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Re: Do you all press your seams?

Always press seams. Dont always press hems and side hems.
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Ditto Pens post re seams. I press side and bottoms hems after rolling the interlinings into the folds , then herringbone.

I have seen seams overlocked and pressed to one side on fine fabrics such as silk.

Comment

Yes I also press the seams open, either with or without the iron if the fabric dictates. I always think it makes a flatter finish. Press the hems as well.

Enid

Comment

I always press them open.
          Kindest Regards,
          Karen

Comment

Yes, I also press open my seams, but I then press underneath the seam allowance as it can leave a slight line on the right side of the fabric.
            Sue.

Comment

Sue,
              you can slide a piece of thin card under the seam allowance which should stop the edge of the seam showing on the right side.
              Kind regards
              Pen Harrison

Comment

Hi all

I have been asked by a curtain shop to make some curtains, and the owner has asked me not to press the seams open, but to overlock them together, and press to one side, on both the lining and the main fabric. I have never seen or heard of this before. Does anyone else do it? Dont you think it will make the seam very bulky? It is a thickish cotton fabric, and cotton sateen lining.

Thanks
                Gail

Comment

If that's what she's asked for I think that's what you need to do. Different people have different ways to do things and this must be the way she's happy with. Perhaps you can ask her why she chose this way at some point.

Comment

Some people like things done their way. As Jules says, if that's what she wants, then that's what she gets.
                    Kind regards
                    Pen Harrison

Comment

I have made up one of these curtains this way, and it does look very neat. My initial concern was that it would be bulky, but it is not.
                      Gail

Comment

I suspect she' may have had work done before with pressed open seams and if tension too loose or large stitches used light can filter through the seam if they are not interlined. I was asked by a customer once to overlock the seam for this very reason as her previous curtains used to drive her mad.

Always press open seams but never hems in case when cleaned they need to be lengthened and can be difficult to remove ironed crease lines on some fabrics, however lightly ironed.

Helen

Comment

Presumably face fabric one way and lining the other, to avoid bulk at the heading.
                          I always press open, but I might not on a loosly woven fabric.

Comment

Working...
                          X