Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade Work & Pricing?

Hi All

I wonder if you could possibly give me some advice regarding trade work and pricing. I've done a seach on this site but couldn't find much - unless I am looking in the wrong place

I have been approached by a local company with a good reputation that has been in business in the area for over 15 years to possibly do some trade work for them as they have been let down by one of their current ladies.

It's over six years since I last did any trade work and this was when i was employed by a Workroom rather than for myself as I am now. I have some trade price guidelines from the NDA which are dated 2005 from when I completed their Curtain Making course but just wondered if any of you are doing trade work, is there a going rate etc? I understand that the work would be supplied to me already cut out etc and I will just be required to "sew" everything together with the majority being handsewing. The shop would supply tracks, tape etc.

I wouldn't usually plan to take on trade work, however, I would like to help them out and as I haven't overstretched myself this year running up to Xmas, I do have some time available to assist the shop.

Would any of you be able to give me any guidelines on trade pricing for roman blinds, lined and interlined curtains with either pinch pleats or eyelets, all with handsewn hems/edges etc?

Any help you can give me would be very much appreciated. I am scheduled to go and see the shop on Saturday morning to discuss things further with them.

Thank you
    MichelleK

Re: Trade Work & Pricing?

Hi MichelleK

I do most of my work for a shop and generally they pay the maker half their Retail price, it varies from shop to shop depending on their charges. They will probably have a price list that they pay their makers already set.

Kathy
    K W Designs
    Bournemouth

Comment

It sounds like they need you more than they need you, so don't sell yourself short! I don't know if other curtainmakers find that some of their competitors charge ridiculously small sums of money for making up, and this really irritates me when we all need to earn a living (or don't we??). Don't forget that you're in business, and not just making curtains for a laugh! We don't get paid when we're sick or on holiday; and have overheads, tax, insurance etc. to take care of. There will also be the time and cost of collection and delivery; and for your own jobs the administration, survey visits and fitting.

I've no doubt they will have an idea of what they'd like to pay you - but that they are also in business, and will therefore try to get your labour at a knock-down price. Most curtainmakers are flat out at this time of year, and so they'll be lucky to get you! Don't forget also that they will be making a decent mark-up on any fabric which they have sold the client, and that the making up price may therefore be discounted to reflect that. They will also be making a margin on lining and interlining, assuming that they supply rather than you.

Anyone prepared to share their (retail) price per width? My basic charge for hand-stitched lined curtains up to 220cm drop with pencil pleat heading is £45.00; interlined, triple pleat widths over 220cm drop go up to £75 per width. I give a 15% discount to 'trade' (i.e. regular) customers. And most of my business is from repeat orders - I don't need to advertise.

Hope this helps - good luck!

Comment

Jackie,
        My prices are about the same as yours, but they include VAT as I'm registered. Does your price include going to measure, etc? And where abouts are you? I'm in rural Worcestershire, so prices are a bit less round here generally.

I agree that overheads should be taken into account - you shouldn't just be charging the amount you'd like to earn per hour.

MichelleK, ask the shop how much they are offering - and then decide whether or not to accept it!
        Kind regards
        Pen Harrison
        Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Pen,
          I don't charge for survey visits/estimating, and usually quote £15 per hour for fitting/delivery unless the job is just a short stone's throw away. (Have to say that I've fallen foul of that in the past, and done a job near to home where the customer was the most irritatingly finicky woman - I'd not bargained for steaming tons of interlined linen twice over and messing about for hours on end!)

I'm in rural North Yorkshire, where there is a curious mix of types of customer. House prices here are high and I think that customers generally expect to pay top dollar for decent workmanship; many are used to London prices. There is also a certain school of thought which says that if you're charging peanuts, they expect monkeys!

My builder, a blunt Northerner, has a useful turn of phrase which is "Don't tha go buying work" - broadly meaning that if you're not charging a fair price for the job, you're effectively paying the customer to do their sewing for them. Curtainmaking can be a lot of hassle for not a lot of reward, when it's actually a skilled craft if done properly to professional standards.

Jackie

Comment

I agree wholeheartedly Jackie. How many customers DIY effort could ever match up to what we do. It is a skilled craft like carpentry or any other. We have all served an apprenticeship of sorts.

I have had customers say - I would make them myself but I don't have the time- the cheek of it!
            Karen Rhodes
            Karen Rhodes Design
            Pole Design

Comment

I have that, Karen, then I look at the ones they made that I'm replacing and have to smile...
              Kind regards
              Pen Harrison
              Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Working...
              X