Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Struggling to put zip into a piped seam on upholstery items

I find this so difficult!

I am doing outworking for an upholstery company, so i am making a lot of box cushions for arm chairs, sofas, also large scatters etc. i am finding the piping tends to be quite bulky, the fabric's obviously thicker and so putting zips into piped seams becomes really tricky as the zips just don't seem wide enough!

I have looked online and it seems that zips come in just one width, is this so? and if it is then what am i doing wrong or is it just diffcult and time consuming to get right?

My main problem is the zip moving about when i line it up halfway up the piping to sew nice and close, and when i try and anchor it in place with pins there just isn't enough of it to do it effectively. I then find it equally as tricky to get the other side in as well!

Any advice before i run screaming to the hills, or from the hills....

Re: Struggling to put zip into a piped seam on upholstery items

Hi

I know this is time consuming but try tacking it in, it might work.
    K W Designs
    Bournemouth

Comment

Hello Apprentice,

Have you tried setting your zips into the centre of the welt rather than into the piped seams for thick furnishing fabrics? If you make your welt in two pieces, the piece that runs around the back of the seat cushion can be made deeper to allow you to set a zip in. Then, when it's inserted, the piece will be the same depth as the rest of the welt. Then, just stitch it to the front and sides piece of welt to make a continuous band to be stitched in the normal way to your piped top and bottom cushion pieces.

Comment

I always set the zip in the centre of the welt of a box cushion when using upholstery fabric. Its to thick to put next to the piping, hence why you are having problems. I do it exactly how Rosie has explained. The only other thing I do is use continuous zipping, this was you can always have the exact length of zip that you require. When doing these if I can I always put the zip along the back of the cushion and then take it down each side slightly by about 10cm. This will allow you to get the inner of the cushion in sooo much easier. If you need pics let me know and I shall see what I can do.
        Kindest Regards,
        Karen

Comment

Yes, in the centre of the back welt is the way. Makes it easier to get the pad in and out, too.

Comment

I have only every managed to put in zips (upholstery fabric or otherwise) to my own satisfaction by TACKING first. It feels like a drag when you are doing it, but it does make certain things much easier.

Does sound like putting it in the gusset (I hate that word!) is the right thing to do. Will the company you are outworking for give you guidance on how they expect things to be done?

Sue.

Comment

I'm same as the others - zip goes in the centre of the welt. On very large cushions I often bring it slightly round the corner as well, as this makes a massive difference as to how easy it is to get the foam pad into it.

Comment

Is it the scatters that you are struggling with? You could stitch a strip to the bottom of the back, then stitch the zip onto there rather than into the piped seam - like a centred zip but as low down as possible. Have the flap of the back go right to the bottom edge/piping, if that makes sense.
                Kind regards
                Pen Harrison
                Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

That's what I do with nearly all piped scatter cushions, Pen, it's much easier and hides the zip, which I think looks better. I go further and assemble the back and pipe that, then attach the front.This saves the embarassment of catching the flap in the seam
                  For sofa seats and the like, I usually cut the zipwelt across the whole width per two cushions, make it up in one go and then cut it in half(making sure that the sliders are in the right place).It's not vital, but it works for me. Then the zip goes round the back corners, as Bluebell says, you can pattern match the welt at the front to the top, and fill in the sides with whatever as it is not seen(although I pattern match there too, unless I'm seriously short of fabric)

Comment

Working...
                  X