Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blackout roman inside or outside recess?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackout roman inside or outside recess?

Opinions please?
    A 69cm wide window abutting a wall on the RHS. Adjacent is a 'normal' window about 1.7 mtrs away on its LHS . I tried to give some advice to help customer decide if they should choose short drop curtains for both windows or roman blinds. Or have curtains on the bigger window and a roman on the tiny one. Or have a single curtain on the tiny one. Customer says blackout is needed. Even short drop curtains will give a certain amount of light bleed BUT...... is there more blackout effect with a blind inside the recess or outside? I said if blinds go outside the recess I'd advise having at least 10 cms outside the recess on the sides and below sill to minimise light bleed. But if the blind goes inside the recess it could be made with just a bare clearance to the recess sides. Both positions of romans will not give 100% blackout, but I'd like your opinions as to which position would give slightly less light bleed?
    Thanks in advance.
    Caroline

Re: Blackout roman inside or outside recess?

Hi Caroline!

I think you get less light bleed if the blind is inside the recess. As you say, you can make it fit pretty tight to the recess, minimising the amount of light that creeps past. If you hang it outside the recess, the depth of your headrail will always create a gap down the sides for the light to get through, no matter how far beyond the recess you take the blind. I have seen some clever maker position the headrail on the underside of the front of the lintel and make the actual blind a bit wider than the headrail so it is tight to the wall. I think they then finished it with tiny magnets down the edges (and a magnetic strip on the wall) so that there was a [U]really tight fit. Alternatively, make them an eye-mask!

Hope this helps!

Kate

Comment

Hi Caroline,
      In this situation where the customer wants the most blackout option, I would suggest a roman in the recess with dress curtains to the sides, dress curtains to have a batten fixed to the wall and the sides of the curtain velcroed to the batten.
      In either instance, inside or outside, with just a roman blind you will not achieve the blackout effect that the customer probably expects.

Kind regards
      Christine

Comment

I always call it room darkening, rather than blackout so as not to set unachievable expectations!
        Kind regards
        Pen Harrison
        Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thank you for your suggestions everyone. I think I need to discuss expectations of blackout more exactly with customer. The dress curtain idea would be good, but I don't think it would work with the small window butting up to the wall because I don't think a single dress curtain would look the best. I would like to try the idea Kate suggested, whereby the blind sides actually are wider than the recess and overhang it slightly, although the headrail site within the recess.
          Caroline

Comment

Working...
          X