use of buckram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• use of buckram

I am wanting to do, well somebody else wants me to do, an attached valance with a pinch pleat heading. No problem but does anyone have experience of doing pinch pleats without using any buckram? I was really only thinking about all the thicknesses involved and as this will be one and a half width for showroom only, am considering having a go sans the stuff.

Anyone else ever tried this

Enid

Re: use of buckram

I've never done this, but would imagine if you did they may be a bit soft / saggy. I'd try it with a piece of old fabric and see what happens, it might work and give you a more informal type heading. Let me know how it goes! Sorry not much help here!
    Kindest Regards,
    Karen

Comment

Thanks Karen, informal might just be the way.

I reckoned that with the thickness of the curtain plus the thickness of the valance the normal ' crispness' of pleats would not be attainable anyway. As its a sample, I think I shall give it a whirl and see what happens.

Will let you know,

Enid

Comment

I've made curtains with attached valances (interlined as well) with buckram and it's worked fine. The fabric wasn't too thick. If you dont use buckram, you will just get a softer look to the top of the curtain.
        Kind regards
        Pen Harrison
        Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

I have been looking through some of my books and as you might expect there are several suggested methods out there you might want to try!

Caroline Wrey uses buckram in the valance section, but not the top of the curtain. Maureen Whitemore takes a different approach - she lays the valance on top of the curtain, top edges level (wrong side of valance on right side of curtain) Then makes a fabric facing with buckram in it which is machined on to the top of the curtain (right sides facing, enclosing the valance) then turned to the back before making the pleats.

PM me if you would like copies of either method.
          Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Yes I have made them in the past with no problem.but I was just wondering. ......I am really going to give this a go as the softer look might be fine and with the thickness of the fabric anyway I cannot see how they can do anything other than stand straight.

WHEN I have done this I shall post the result.

Thanks all,

Enid

Comment

Working...
            X