choux rosettes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• choux rosettes

Where have i gone wrong! I wanted to make some lovely scrumpious choux rosettes as seen in books so followed the instructions from Caroline Wreys book of ' The complete book of curtains and drapes' only to feel they appear rather ' flat'. I personaly feel if i had cut the fabric out larger allowing more fabric into the circle, than she had suggested ,they may have come out looking fuller and as i had exspected, am i wrong in this assumpution? Fleur

Re: choux rosettes

You may have stitched it so that it is too big, not allowing enough fabric to puff up, stitched it too much making it flat, or the fabric is not lending itself to the design. Try using a layer of interlining as well.
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

When I use to make them, quite a while ago, I remember that I use to put a layer of netting underneath the main fabric. The fabric that the Ballerina use for there skirts.
      This then allows the fabric to be manipulated into shape, you could also try spraying some starch onto the back of the fabric.

Happy sewing,
      Carmen

Comment

Thanks for the tips , i will be trying out both to see which will give me the desired result.

Comment

Use interlining and do a lot more stab stitches than Caroline Wrey uses. In that book I don't think the Choux looks that great. The principal is the more stab stitching you do the more crinkly it becomes. there is an art to making them and once you get started you can stop. In the book The Art of Manipulating Fabric you can find a section on the principals of it[attachment=0:4dgt4v98]DSC_0037.jpg[/attachment:4dgt4v98]
          Karen Rhodes
          Karen Rhodes Design
          Pole Design

Comment

That looks a lovely choux , the sort i would have expected but did not get. you could see the edge on mine even though i had tried to pull the fabric to the edge to try and conceal it,no bulk or fullness to it. I try and follow the books instructions to the letter and then wonder why my result does not look like the one in the picture ! ( a bit like cookery books i suspect, a lot of artificial lighting and colouring) .
            I have looked on e-bay to try and get the book you mentioned , not very good at e-bay but will try again, amazon did'nt come up with it !!
            Thanks for you reply will keep trying untill i get a good result.

Comment

P.S There is no mention of interlining with the choux in her book but it has been mentioned twice here on the forum !! It would seem to me that the people who actualy do the work knows best !!

Comment

This is the book I think http://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Manipula...6046009&sr=1-1
                Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Yes thats the book. It goes into detail about sewing decorative techniques such as tucks etc etc. Fantastic. Its really a textile art book.I used it when I did the City and Guilds.

In this book they do not actually make choux rosettes for curtains but there is a lot in here that will help you accessorize and make your curtains more original.
                  Karen Rhodes
                  Karen Rhodes Design
                  Pole Design

Comment

Working...
                  X