Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worry over length of curtains - HELP!

Hi All,

I have made a lined pair of curtains to go under a valance. I have pinned them off to 150cm lenth but not sewn on the pencil pleat tape.

I measured the drop from the underside of the pelmet board to just above the radiator 152cm. However in my panic to take very precise measurements of the shape and angles of the pelmet board omitted to make a note of the type of track i.e. one of those narrow metal ones, or a standard Swish plastic type track, so I don't have the hook drop.

Now I am getting in a tizzy over the final drop, because if I make them too long, they will touch the radiator, but I will not be able to use a lower pocket to shorten them, because the top of the curtain will scrape on the pelmet board.

Trying to avoid a second measure as it is half term and the kids are home, and the client is some way away, so wonder if anyone can offer any practical advice.

Please help.
    Thanks,
    Sue.

Re: Worry over length of curtains - HELP!

Hi Sue

Can you make them the short length and use 'S' hooks from the top of the curtain to the track, if necessary?

All the best
    Angie

Comment

Could you make them to the shorter of the anticipated lengths, then if you find you need them longer make sure you have some 'S' hooks to hand like this, this is what M&D recommend to lengthen curtain drop.

[attachment=0:7a0kvuir]s hook.jpg[/attachment:7a0kvuir]
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

A bit cheeky, and you may not want to but can you ask the client to just measure from the top of the board to the bottom of the hook? Say that you just want to confirm it.
        Kind regards
        Pen Harrison
        Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hi Sue.
          The average hook allowance for a standard silent gliss track is 4cm , basically means that the top of the hook sits 4cm down from the top of the curtain turnover.

That said, even if its a pain I would always go over a measure otherwise the alternative of them being too long is a pain, but thats just me! Is there a cinema or something along the journey to promise the kids if they dont mind a trip in the car Just for your peace of mind, or alternatively would it be possible to ask the client to measure from the hook to the raidiator for you. We all make mistakes, after all regardless of what people might think , we curtain makers are actually human!

I hope you get it sorted, let us know how it goes.

Tam x

Comment

I'd remeasure too - the hassle it's likely to be if you get it wrong is likely to be much greater than the hassle of remeasuring. I recently had to recheck a measurement as I didn't trust my notes and, when I explained, the client was very happy for me to do so. I find the promise of a McDonalds works wonders when I need to bribe my little darlings!
            Jane

Comment

Hi Sue
              I'm with Tam and Jane I'd go and remeasure too. At least that way you'd have peace of mind, there is nothing worse than going to a fitting having worried the night before that something might go wrong. Or Pen's idea is good too.
              Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Hi Sue, what a headache! I hate it when all you want is a straight run and something like this gets in the way. I recently had to ask my client that lives 1 hours drive away to give me a hook drop measurement and needless to say when I arrived the curtains were too short! not my fault but I was still mortified! Even if she measures it for you you will still have the doubt and worry until they're hung, so annoying though it is it looks as though you'll have to pop back.

By the way how do you use those 'S' hooks? anyone?

Kim
                Kim

Comment

To lengthen curtains slightly you open one side of the 's' with pliers and hook it through the ring where the curtain hook would normally go. Then put the hook on the curtain through the other loop of the 's'. If you have M&D Encyclopaedia of Curtains they show it in one of the sections at the back near the hanging and dressing information.
                  Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Working...
                  X