Making cushion piping - calculating material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making cushion piping - calculating material

Here is a lovely easy question for the experts. (I am still awaiting the arrival of my authoritative tome on the subject.)

Yesterday, at evening classes, we were making the piping for our cushions. To do this, we used straight strips of fabric which we cut, seamed and then ironed into a square: this meant that we could cut bias strips along the folds thus created.

I asked the teacher for a precise method of calculating the length and width of the fabric strip required. Like all those with experience and ability, she gave me a very approximate guide using a practised eye. Surely there is a more precise way of calculating this?

I should be grateful for the advice. Once I have a suitable equation, I can add it to my portfolio!

Rachel

Re: Making cushion piping - calculating material

Pythagorus, and possibly Euclid. For just one cushion,bias cut piping is impossibly wasteful. For a chair or sofa cover, allow about the area of the seat.

Comment

Hi Rachel

You may find this thread interesting - Calculating piping / fabric required You will often find the answer by using the search facility.... It's all here at decozo!
      MyDecozo Admin

Comment

Thank you.

This would appear to work better than yesterday's method as shown in the evening class. I shall try it out with a small sample of fabric: it certainly cuts down on the number of seams and all the hard work ironing the long strip into squares. I expect that I shall have to find a method of marking up the fabric tube though - does this mean tailor's chalk or is there another method? I cannot cut straight to save my life!

Rachel

Comment

Use a pen or pencil, you'll not see it once sewn into piping..
          MyDecozo Admin

Comment

A rough guide is that 50cm of fabric will make about 11m of piping. Useful to know if you are making loose covers and need to know how much fabric to allow.
            Kind regards
            Pen Harrison
            Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Originally posted by my.decozo
              Use a pen or pencil, you'll not see it once sewn into piping..
              Pen or pencil sounds good to me! Free hand is useless. I shall be trying out the method with the fabric square with a large piece of paper and Sellotape - I am capable of botching things quite easily!

Rachel

Comment

Remember you're making a cylinder, put your hand inside and cut the line in one continuous strip.
                Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

I have used this cylinder method, but I had loads of joins. So I now use the wasteful method. I don't always cut on the true bias, on the bias as much as I can to use what fabric I have available.

Sue.

Comment

I also dont like the cylinder method because of the joins, and also the fact that they dont all point the same way. So I cut strips - I find it very quick using a rotary cutter, if sometimes more wasteful of fabric.
                    Kind regards
                    Pen Harrison

Comment

I shall now go away and research "rotary cutter" - I have never heard of one of these but information is easily come by.

I must confess that the result from my evening class had loads of joins. Cutting on the true bias of the fabric would have less. I take it that I would simply join up the strips on completion of the cutting and just have a couple of seams.

Rachel

Comment

Join your bias strips like this

[attachment=0:1ucumdik]join bias.jpg[/attachment:1ucumdik]
                        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Louise is right - just cut the strips so that the short edges slope the same way (when right sides up) and join them. Rotary cutters, acrylic rulers and cutting boards are used by patchworkers, but are excellent for cutting large amounts of small pieces quickly - I use mine a lot.
                          Kind regards
                          Pen Harrison

Comment

This is brilliant - I am only an amateur trying to understand the teacher at evening class. Unfortunately, I did suspect that her suggestion might not be the perfect one and thus all this is most helpful.

Rachel

Comment

Incidentally, I have just been pinning the piping cord into the bias cut fabric (done the long way and with loads of seams). I also basted it into position, as per my usual modus operandi (shortly, I shall draw a line to sew down - forgive me, I need it). Doubtless we shall be told how to pin it successfully on to the material at the next session.

It was my teacher who actually cut my strip from the cylinder shape and I would actually have preferred a neater strip. I think long lengths is definitely the way to go - I can cut the fabric straighter that way too.

Those acrylic rulers have the enormous allure of those mythological sirens on the rocks!

Definitely the way to go.

Rachel

Comment

Working...
                              X