Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eyelets

Hi, just a very small question ,
    who do you order your eyelets from? and have you ever had any problems with particular ones splitting? I want to order some good and strong ones . Thank you

Re: Eyelets

Kitty are you looking for metal eyelets? If so, M&D do a very good selection and they are well priced. If you're looking for plastic eyelets, they will split if put under to much pressure caused by thick fabrics.

You may also find this post interesting - Eyelets splitting originally posted by Daisy.

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

very interesting reading all your comments about ' eyelets', just gone on the Merrick and Day page to see what you are all on about as I have never made any curtains (as yet!) with eyelets and have only seen the heading tape with it already in? How does this compare to what seems to be the preference to buying a tool to do the job, does the tape do a good job?

Comment

Hi Fleur,
        I think the tape is used with plastic eyelets, and no tools are needed. Metal eyelets need at least a hand press to close the eyelet.

I hear what Philip's saying, but we sell the Rufflette Jupiter plastic eyelets, and have never had any complaints about splitting. They work well on fairly heavy fabrics as well.
        Kind regards
        Pen Harrison
        Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

I wouldn't recommend the hand held eyelet setting tool - these are hard work and after first use will probably end up in the back of a drawer. If you're going to invest buy the industrial eyelet press I have never used the jupiter eyelet tape myself, but have used plastic snap fix eyelets some years ago, and they did break during fitting.

I make a lot of eyelet headings so it's cost effective for me to have a machine - another point to make, you''ll be surprised just how many people will buy eyelets if you offer the service.

Professional tip

Philip
          Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

It's funny, but I've only ever made two pairs of eyelet curtains - one for a display, and one for a showhome. I don't like them much, so perhaps never suggest them, or else the houses round here just are suitable!

I do agree that a press is better than a hand tool, but the press is a big investment.
            Kind regards
            Pen Harrison
            Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

I would never offer the taped version of eyelets; however I don't generally offer eyelet heading as I don't have the press but having said that I know someone who does and is prepared to put the eyelets in for me for a small fee; this suits me fine so if anyone does ask I say yes and make the curtains up to stage of eyeletting - this has worked well for me. I have only ever done 6 pairs of eyelets and have always sent them away for eyeletting.
              Yvonne

Comment

That is a good idea to send them away to be done untill you can justify the exspense of buying the tools, i will make a note of that in my 'good ideas book'

Comment

Call a couple of people as the price does vary somewhat between suppliers.
                  Yvonne

Comment

Working...
                  X