Padding for brass bedstead

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Padding for brass bedstead

A friend has asked if I can find a way to make some padding/cushions to attach to their brass bedstead to make it more comfortable when they are sitting up reading in bed. A kind of headrest that doesn't go down behind the pillows/mattress.

They don't want to permanently pad the head of the bed with something like a foam box cushion, and it needs to wrap around the top bar for her taller husband.....I think I'm OK working out the fabric angle and the idea of velcro straps to hold it in place but would love any ideas on the best padding to use.

Not too thick but flexible so it can wrap around the top bar - see attached photo for the style of bed

Thanks in advance
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Foam comes in many thicknesses and densities. I've made something similar for a medical bed with a flat wooden bedhead by simply using 1.25 inch foam sheet and covering it all over with a removable fabric cover and folding the top third over the top of the bedhead.It created a higher support for the head. Google Foam Fabricators for a list of companies who do all the types of foam.
    Caroline

Comment

Thank you Caroline - great to hear that you have achieved something similar!
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I would be interested to hear what you decide on using please Louise. My niece has a beautiful brass bed from her great grandmother.....always reminds me of the film Bednobs and Broomsticks!.....and I know in time she’d like something else for when sitting up reading in bed rather than the zillion cushions she currently has on it.

Comment

Working...
        X